DjangoBooks.com

your "altamira experience"

Hi guys.
I think i'll buy an altamira m20 oval hole, and i'd like to know if you ever tried one.
tell me your experience, your advices are welcome

Comments

• MandobartMandobart ✭✭ Mandolin, Octave Mandolin, Mandocello, Fiddles
    I have an Altamira M20D, basically same guitar with the grande bouche. I love the sound and playability. Lots of volume. Currently using Argentine 11's. The Altamira's are supposed to be a bit better than the Cigano's and the Gitane's. I was a little underwhelmed at the craftsmanship. The finish is even and nice, wood is nice, but the fret markers on the side of the neck are real cheap-ass looking, as if they put them in, didn't like the look, drilled and filled and then re-did them in a slightly different location on every fret. Tuners are pretty low quality too. These are my only complaints, which I didn't notice until I had got her home and played for a day. Not bad enough of an issue to want to return it, but you kind of expect a little more quality on a $1000 plus guitar.
  • JSantaJSanta NY✭✭✭ Dupont, Gaffiero, AJL
    I have had my M01 for about 8 months now and I think it's a fantastic guitar, regardless of the price point. I had it set-up by Josh with a new custom made bridge, well worth the cost!

I've been very happy with the guitar, and it does get quite a bit of playtime and has yet to let me down. Certainly the tuners and tailpiece are not of Dupont quality, but I've never had tuning issues, and with the leather at the tailpiece, there really isn't any sympathetic droning to note.
    MichaelHorowitz
  • sadowsadow ✭✭ Altamira M30 Antique
    I've been playing an M10 for the past two years, and making significant strides with it. Think it's a circa 2010. Stays solidly in tune and I have no complaint at all about the tuners. Been very happy with the sound, intonation, and feel, though the neck is a bit squarish and can get in the way during fast passages such as diminished arpeggios. I became intrigued by the new Antique series, which appears to be a welcome refinement, and just ordered an M30 Antique from Michael. I figured if the M10 sounds punchy enough with that heavy poly finish, the thin Antique finish should be a noticeable upgrade, and I like the fact that the new Altamiras have a slimmer, more rounded neck with the fret inlay on the 9th fret. Will leave another comment with my impressions after it arrives later this week.
  • rimmrimm Ireland✭✭✭✭ Paul doyle D hole, washburn washington
    No, I am also not convinced by them. Played one five years ago which I loved, since then All have been a disappointment.d hole cigano for me if I was getting a cheap axe
    I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell
  • britankbritank Chicagoland (NW) Seagull S6, Ibanez AF155, Altamira M30D
    Hello.
    I am in the market for a DJ guitar.

Considering either the Gitane DG-320 or the Altamira M10D with the antique finish?

Alternately, if $1500ish winds up being in my range, one of what look to be two beauties, the Gitane DG-370 and the Altamira M30D with the antique finish.

I don't want used (I know -- I should consider a used Nomade).
    And I can' try before I buy, so can't buy based on sound or how one "speaks" to me.
    I've been playing casually for a few years so and sound concerns will likely be me and not the guitar. ;-)

Can I go wrong with any of the four?

Was hooked on the Gitanes until I found this site. Now instead of choosing between the DG-320 and 370 I must throw the M10D and M30D into the mix.

Great posts all around, but none that really settle the dispute going on in my head. And perhaps that is how it is supposed to be. All in this thread are making the decision even tougher, which I actully appreciate.

Anyone with experience with both brands, have already made this decision before I'd love to hear about it.

(I also get the feeling the Django Picking book is a must have. Has that been helpful to you?)
  • DragonPLDragonPL Maryland✭✭ Dupont MD 50-XL (Favino), Michael Dunn Stardust, Castelluccia Tears, Yunzhi gypsy jazz guitar, Gitane DG-320, DG-250M and DG-250
    I made a few posts here about my Alatamira experience which was not very good. To each their own I suppose. For the Asian models l'd recommend the Gitane DG 250(M) within that same price range, plus they're really loud and easy to play with the thin neck..
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    I don't have any experience with Altamira , I've tried a few but I don't remember anything about them. What I can definitely say though, is that proper setup makes a huge difference on how one perceives a guitar though.

I've tried Gitanes that I didn't like (bad setup) and others that I really liked (great setup). Any decently built guitar can easily go both ways...
  • dorkydave1dorkydave1 Richmond VA Altamira M10D
    I just purchased an M10D from a member on this site; had it almost three weeks now. So far I like it very much and it is a significant upgrade from my Gitane DG-255. Extremely LOUD in comparison; so much more volume it is actually taking some getting used to. The previous owner did buy it from this site and had the professional setuop done, so I can't speak to the "out of the box" condition, but I find the workmanship and playability to be excellent - again compared to the Gitane. The other player in my group uses a DG - 370 John Jorgensen model and I think the M10 is a better guitar for sure, certainly more volume and has more of an authentic "gypsy" tone imho.

I do think it is going to take some time for me to find the strings that the guitar likes the best that I also like. I do know that .12's are too heavy for it.
    MichaelHorowitzChiefbigeasy
  • richter4208richter4208 ✭✭✭
    I have an MO1D. It has upgrade tuners, bridge and setup as well as pickup. I absolutely love it, in some ways it outperforms the 4k plus instrument I sold previous to buying it.
    MichaelHorowitz
  • I have hardly ever bought new guitars so I guess I can't dig why you wouldn't consider used. There's a barely used Nomade on here for $1500 with case! No comparison with the guitars you're thinking of! If you just can't bring yourself to buy used, save the extra bucks and get a new Nomade.