DjangoBooks.com

Craig Bumgarner is a class act

I am new to the GJ world, and have been in the market for a guitar. After lots of thinking, research, and conversations with some of the people who frequent this forum, I decided to have Craig Bumgarner build me a Selmer copy.

He could not have been more fun to work with. He was patient, communicative. Helped me work through some of the finer points of designing a guitar. He also sent me some great photos of the guitar in-process.

Then I see a Zwinakis for sale on Djangobooks that was nearly identical to the spec Craig and I worked on—even down to the color. This killed me, because, for a variety of reasons, Zwinakis was at the top of my list (I'm a Bay Area guy like Zwinakis, so the Bay Area connection was part of it). I just didn't think I'd see one for sale because they are so rare. It didn't help that the Zwinakis was used, and a few hundred dollars cheaper.

Well, I thought it couldn't hurt to ask Craig what his cancellation policy was. So I explained that the Zwinakis was for sale, but also that I had committed to him, that I was really happy with everything, and that if he wanted to continue with the project I'd have zero issue with that. I fully expected Craig to say something like "well, we've come pretty far in the process here, and the guitar is turning out great, so let's just keep going."

Instead, he said that if I wanted a Zwinakis, I should go for it, and that I should consider my order cancelled.

Wow. What a class act. That's more than generous! I actually kind of feel like a jerk. I wasted the guy's time, and he was so gracious about it.

So I had to share this story on the forum. I'm hopeful that some of you will look at Craig's guitars. They are beautiful. I know that when I get the itch for another GJ guitar (because really, you can't have too many guitars), I'll be coming back to him. So long as he wouldn't mind working with me again.

Comments

• maxmax SwedenNew
    +1! Great Guy, Great knowledge..
  • Charlie AyersCharlie Ayers Salt Lake CityProdigy
    I agree!
  • Beyond him being a great guy, Craig builds guitars that are a force to be reckoned with. He's a player that builds guitars for players and is a pleasure to work with.
  • Joe LazarJoe Lazar
    Jim, it looks like I'm on the path toward copying your collection. I'm starting with a Zwinakis, and no doubt I'll move on to a Bumgarner in a while. Why is it, we only have one pair of hands, yet we need so many guitars?!
    pickitjohn
  • edited March 2015 Posts: 1,231
    My personal feeling is that Craig is a more attentive luthier than some of the folks on the other side of the pond who are getting double the cash for their work. Folks who are looking for a high quality instrument should strongly consider his work. I'd put one of his guitars against any being built by his contemporaries any day.
    I have a b-stock Zwinakis, but once I got it set up to where I wanted it, I've grown very very fond of it.