DjangoBooks.com

Man, is it really 10 years

François RAVEZFrançois RAVEZ FranceProdigy
in Welcome Posts: 294
I received recently the 10th anniversary badge and I thought, "Man, is it really 10 years".

The site says there were 18 people to be there 10 years ago :

PhilPhil February 6
Teddy DupontTeddy Dupont February 4
François RAVEZFrançois RAVEZ February 1
djangologydjangology January 29
CalebFSUCalebFSU January 27
DjonathanDjonathan January 20
Ted GottsegenTed Gottsegen January 20
emicademicad January 19
StringswingerStringswinger January 16
jerojero January 16
Craig BumgarnerCraig Bumgarner January 15
scotscot January 15
CuimeanCuimean January 14
andoatagnandoatagn January 12
Russell LetsonRussell Letson January 11

Best

François
MichaelHorowitz

Comments

It's crazy to think it's been 6 for me let alone 10 for you.
    I was awarded a virtuoso badge but I liked the ring of prodigy better. Virtuoso makes me feel too old, though I like a whole month of post editing privileges. Now I change my mind all the time.

Cheers and congrats on your first decade anniversary!
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • Teddy DupontTeddy Dupont Deity
    The first forum I remember and I'm sure François does too, is the one that is now called called gypsyjazzguitar and is part of Yahoo Groups. No idea how long ago that was (year 2000 perhaps). Then there was Steve Royall's "The Django Reinhardt Swing Page" before he decided he needed to go out and work for a living. Not sure how long the French "Guitare Jazz Manouche" forum has been going.
  • Bob HoloBob Holo Moderator
    The first forum I remember and I'm sure François does too, is the one that is now called called gypsyjazzguitar and is part of Yahoo Groups.

Wow. Memories... I remember two Yahoo groups - I don't know if that was one of them, but it probably was. I think the other was a local Portland Yahoo group for coordinating jams. I remember on the main Yahoo group there was a guy named zoot - really nice guy - whose avatar was a neon blue baby with sunglasses or headphones or something. Weirdest Avatar ever, but very memorable ;-). I remember that both of the Yahoo groups got increasingly contentious so I visited less and less often. Then at Djangofest, either Michael or Josh mentioned a "new chatroom site called Djangobooks". I think the conversation took place right before or after Angelo DeBarre's show - which would have been late Sept 2004. I joined a few months later and never looked back. Long Live DjB!
    MichaelHorowitz
    You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.
  • StringswingerStringswinger Santa Cruz and San Francisco, CA✭✭✭✭ 1993 Dupont MD-20, Shelley Park Encore
    This is still the place to share all things Django. I am one of the 10 year veterans and plan on being around for the next 10.

Django lives on and Djangobooks is part of the reason why.

Thanks Michael!
    pickitjohnMichaelHorowitz
    "When the chord changes, you should change" Joe Pass
  • Teddy DupontTeddy Dupont Deity
    Bob Holo wrote: »
    I remember on the main Yahoo group there was a guy named zoot - really nice guy - whose avatar was a neon blue baby with sunglasses or headphones or something. Weirdest Avatar ever, but very memorable ;-).

Zoot was Steve Royall from "The Django Swing Page Forum":- http://www.hotclub.co.uk/

• Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    edited February 2015 Posts: 1,855
    Congratulations to all you ten year men who got the ball rolling for the rest of us retardataires...
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."