DjangoBooks.com

Stochelo's bouncing right hand?

Charles MeadowsCharles Meadows WV✭✭✭ ALD Original, Dupont MD50
in Technique Posts: 432
I slowed this clip down and was looking at Stochelo's motion during consecutive downstrokes.

It looks like the bottom of his right hand (with the fingers) flairs out just a bit, as if in recoil from a quick press and bounce off the string.

Jazzaferri

Comments

• One thing to keep in mind on Stochelo's technique is he said at some point when he is playing really fast downstrokes he changes from touching the physically lower string to what was described as a circling motion. Christiaan didn't say at what speed that happens, ....I suspect it is at speeds that few of us will ever acheive
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • ShemiShemi Cardiff✭✭✭
    edited January 2015 Posts: 170
    What tempo is the original?

I joined the Rosenberg Academy site and he describes a kind of floating or circling stroke at high speed. I've got the Minor Swing solo to around about 5 bpm under tempo that is exactly what it feels like when, for instance, negotiating two notes on one string in a Dim run. The pick doesn't touch the string below and it almost feels like a relaxed twitch or flick to achieve the double down strike.

He makes it pretty clear in the vids on the site that he doesn't rest when doing high speed runs.
  • ShemiShemi Cardiff✭✭✭
    edited January 2015 Posts: 170
    For an idea on tempo, the backing for Minor Swing is around 210... so a diminished run in triplets would be about the speed.
  • Charles MeadowsCharles Meadows WV✭✭✭ ALD Original, Dupont MD50
    This clip was from My Blue heaven.