DjangoBooks.com

Learning Resources for Chromatic Harmonica PLayer

in Welcome Posts: 3
Hi I'm completely new to gypsy jazz, trying to figure out where to begin. I want to learn to play gypsy jazz on chromatic harmonica. I am a classically trained oboist, so I already know my theory, scales, how to read music, etc. I also have lots of experience improvising in blues and country styles, but of course the chord progressions etc are much simpler in those styles. I don't have any experience in jazz. I don't play guitar.

I'm thinking that a site or play along book/CD series geared towards a classical violinist wanting to learn how to play like Grappelli et al might be best for me. Ideally I want play along CDs / MP3s of the standard tunes (fast / slow, with and without lead) to learn the tunes and chord progressions, and some transcriptions of solos and licks by Grappelli others to help learn the vocabulary. There may be a structured, gradual way to learning all this I don't know.

There's a ton of stuff out there and it's hard to know which ones are the best.

Thanks!

Comments

• Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    edited December 2014 Posts: 1,855
    To be honest, the idea of gypsy jazz harmonica is going to be a tough sell among your fellow musicians.

I mean, the community does tolerate accordion players, but this may just be, in the words of the late WC Fields, "carrying democracy too far". ;-)

Why don't you start by copying Toots Thielmans?

I'm told he plays a mean jazz guitar, BTW.
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • Russell LetsonRussell Letson Prodigy
    When I was still attending DFNW, there was a chromatic harp player who showed up most years. He was very accomplished and very welcome whenever he joined a circle. Chromatic harp fits in every bit as well as accordion or violin or clarinet. And yes, listen to Toots. Also Clint Hoover, who sometimes plays with Twin Cities guitarist Reynold Philipsek--

• ScoredogScoredog Santa Barbara, Ca✭✭✭✭
    You might also consider an accordina. Ludvic Beier plays one well and it is pretty close to a chromatic harmonica.
  • PerltonePerltone ✭✭✭
    David Naiditch has a gypsy jazz harmonica album with Gonzalo Bergara.
  • BohemianBohemian State of Jefferson✭✭✭✭
    The GB and Naiditch CD is well done.

There are plenty of Jazz Chromatic Harmonica players.

The only thing the Accordina and Chromatic harmonica share is that they are free reed instruments.

The Accordina is more like a Chromatic Button Accordeon without a bellows.

The Chromatic harmonica is a repeat of the C scale with a button/slide to sharp and it is blow and draw unlike the Accordina which is blow only.

The best book I have found on Chromatic Harmonica is:

Method For Chromatic Harmonica" by Max De Aloe a chromatic Harmonioca and guitar teacher and player in Italy..

It is published by Sher Music Co and is $30 US with a spiral bound book and CD.

I would like an Accordina. there is a keyboard logic which makes playing a bit easier than a chromatic harmonica.
    To be honest, the idea of gypsy jazz harmonica is going to be a tough sell among your fellow musicians.

I mean, the community does tolerate accordion players, but this may just be, in the words of the late WC Fields, "carrying democracy too far". ;-)

Well harmonica wasn't a tough sell to Django when he made an album with Larry Adler:

It wasn't a problem for Grappelli either when he made an album with Toots:

If Django and Grappelli didn't have a problem with harmonica why would other gypsy jazz musicians?

As mentioned there are fine harmonica players playing Gypsy jazz today including David Naiditch and Hermine Deurloo:

In any case, back to my original question: what are some good gypsy jazz learning resources for players of non-standard instruments? I think violin resources would work for me but I don't know what the best ones are. Any recommendations?
    pickitjohn
  • BonesBones Moderator
    David Naiditch (sp?) in LA plays GJ on chromatic. Not sure if he gives Skype lessons???
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    Apologies to all the harmonica players and sympathizers whom I have offended. I hereby eat humble pie.

Now, if you would be so kind as to explain jazz etiquette 101 to that harmonica guy who occasionally shows up at the local jam session and keeps playing during everybody else's solo, I'd be very grateful...

Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."