DjangoBooks.com

Looking at buying a Manouche latcho drom by dell Arte

in Welcome Posts: 1
Found a gypsy jazz guitar and wondering if this is a good guitar/make. The price is $750 and seems like a good deal. Been playing gypsy jazz a couple of years on a regular acoustic and thinking its time to upgrade.... Thoughts?

Comments

• richter4208richter4208 ✭✭✭
    Thats a great deal if it plays good for you, if it's local and you try before you buy than its a no brainer. I've got the altamira d hole for just slightly less money with all the good upgrades, so pretty much right on par with you price.
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    The Manouche Latcho Drom guitars are just Altamira guitars that were rebranded by Dell Arte. You can buy a new Altamira for $899: http://www.djangobooks.com/Category/Altamira

Also, the Manouche Latcho Drom guitars have the old style U shape necks which are very deep. Most people find them quite uncomfortable. The Altamiras I stock all have modern C shaped necks which are modern and ergonomic, like a Dupont.
  • richter4208richter4208 ✭✭✭
    Oops, forgot about the neck differences, definitely go with the Altamira then, the altamira neck is very playable!
  • harlemjoysharlemjoys Central Jersey✭✭✭
    That sounds like a good deal for a Latcho Drom, I own one and I really enjoy playing it. I actually find the neck to very comfortable and I think the shape may even help me land thumb chords a bit easier as well. I've also heard that they come with much nicer and more expensive hardware than the Altamiras.
  • AndrewUlleAndrewUlle Cleveland, OH✭✭✭ Cigano GJ-15
    How thick is the U-shaped neck at the nut? How is it the same/different than a D-shaped neck I've read about?