DjangoBooks.com

Django In June 2014 was awesome

Comments

• Craig BumgarnerCraig Bumgarner Drayden, MarylandVirtuoso Bumgarner S/N 001
    All true! It is the greatest show on earth! Great to catch up with old friends and make new ones, play together and listen to the some of the very best players in the world. Like Stew, I'm struck by how many people return year after year, but how frickin' good everyone is getting!

For a guitar nerd like me, it is always fun to hear many different instruments. And there were so many good ones. Five years ago, 70% of the attendees had low end Asian guitars. This year 70% had high end guitars or vintage guitars, and are playing them beautifully.

Enjoyed talking shop with Al Watsky, Harry Richter and Cyril Gaffiero.

I think part of Andrew's success is how he integrates his staff with the campers. They aren't just stars flown in/out for concerts. Their involvement all week in jams, impromptu lawn concerts, workshops, "the guitar show", the dinning hall and bs sessions is really part of the magic of Django in June. Thanks to Andrew, his staff and all participants for making it the best one yet. Looking forward to 2015!

Michael BauerMattHenry
  • Charles MeadowsCharles Meadows WV✭✭✭ ALD Original, Dupont MD50
    I really gotta go one of these years. My son's B day is June 23 so it often makes it hard...
  • marksealemarkseale
    It was an amazing year! Andrew does a great job with the event. I had the ultimate pleasure of studying with the violinists and Tim, Karin, and Aurelien, were all simply fantastic. My wife joined me this year, primarily a vocalist and she did get to sing a bit in various jams, was a beginner guitar student initially overwhelmed but ultimately welcomed and inspired by all. It was wonderful to be a part of the community and to get to spend a week fully immersed in all things gypsy jazz. Already looking forward to next year!
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    I really gotta go one of these years. My son's B day is June 23 so it often makes it hard...

Get him a guitar and bring him along!

Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • JSantaJSanta NY✭✭✭ Dupont, Gaffiero, AJL
    I had a couple friends go this year, and if everything works out, I'll be joining in on the fun next year. It looks like too much fun to pass up.
  • Al WatskyAl Watsky New JerseyVirtuoso
    It was a great year. For sure.
    At the risk of being accused of fawning, let's not forget to mention the violinist Tim Kliphuis who was transcendently good !
    A master of space and time , tone , intonation and invention .
  • BohemianBohemian State of Jefferson✭✭✭✭
    Al Watsky of concertina fame ?

That being the case, no better endorsement.
  • Al WatskyAl Watsky New JerseyVirtuoso
    Bohemian wrote: »
    Al Watsky of concertina fame ?

That being the case, no better endorsement.

The very same.

• Craig BumgarnerCraig Bumgarner Drayden, MarylandVirtuoso Bumgarner S/N 001
    Special thanks should go to Michael Bauer for again loading up his (large) collection of vintage guitars and making the long drive to Django in June again this year. His willingness to let all comers play the unique and priceless guitars in his collection is generous beyond the call.

His room 101 is often the center of the best jams by the best players, well into the wee hours. Why? Because that is where the best guitars are! Well, there is the Scotch! I have never seen even a hint of elitism in room 101 though the guitars and players are often in a class of their own.

Michael's Guitar Show just gets better and better with more of the staff players wanting to join in on demonstrating his collection and others. The players were clearly enjoying themselves and the crowd kept getting bigger as the show went on. The Guitar Show has become is concert in of itself.

Michael has become an integral part of the Django in June vibe. I know it was a struggle for him to put it together this year, but put it together he did. I hope he has many more to go as it just won't be the same otherwise.

On a personal note, I'd like to publicly thank Michael for allowing me to examine his guitars in detail over the last three years and for his encouragement of my guitar building ambitions.
    Jim KaznoskypickitjohnMarkAMichaelHorowitzJSantamwaddell000MattHenry
  • andoatagnandoatagn Northampton, MAProdigy
    Wow, what a treat to stumble upon this thread! Thanks for getting it going Adrian, and to all of you for the kind words. But mostly, thanks for showing up and making DiJ what it is.

~Andrew
    adrianMichael Bauer