DjangoBooks.com

Ischell pickup/mic system question - how is it ?

2»

Comments

• gitpickergitpicker Beijing/San Francisco✭✭✭✭ Gibson, Favino, Eastman
    This is a bit of an old thread but to respond to Anthony's original question I'll chime in as I just recently got the Ischell unit. Anthony, it's fantastic. As others have mentioned you have to find the "sweet spot", which is not surprising but once you do you should have a great sound. Also not only "where" but how high or low the mic is pressed down on the top makes a big difference. You need a little bit of space but not much. I tried it on two gigs yesterday for the first time and the sound was the best I've ever had: pure and no feedback. I am using it in conjunction with a Zoom A3 pedal to fine tune the sound and I like the boost feature of the Zoom. Yes you pay for it, it's not cheap but the claims are true. It does what it says it will do and it sounds freaking awesome! :)
    www.dougmartinguitar.com
    Live life and play music like it's your last day on earth. One day you'll be right- Russel Malone
    Favino, Ischell and Zoom A3. Not the only combo but has worked great for me!
    www.dougmartinguitar.com
    Live life and play music like it's your last day on earth. One day you'll be right- Russel Malone
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    How did I miss this thread?

Anthony, I don't know if you are still thinking about this purchase, but as another satisfied Ischell user, I'd recommend it highly.

I've never had a feedback problem using it either on my Castellucia F-hole or my metal reso guitar. The sound is very natural and you can adjust it a lot just by where you place it on the guitar.

It cost me $500 last year for the model with the little 2" metal cube pre-amp which just has two little sliders to adjust the sound, but I didn't find any more eq-ing really necessary.

I use mine with a foot pedal to have different volumes for lead and rhythm, and that works pretty well, too.

Will
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
    I got the "new" design, which doesn't have the little inside box with the battery. It's just one cable and the cable end going to the amp is an XLR type head. You can unscrew the head of the cable and the bass roll-off switch is inside! Awesome! It's just nice since its one less cable needed than the version with the inside box. However, as its an xlr cable end, you need an amp that has that style input or a PA or as in my case the zoom pedal has both regular jack and xlr style input/outputs so no worry. The version with the inside box/battery you can use with anything (amp or PA), the version I have needs phantom power to run it but my zoom box gives phantom anyway or here in Beijing we go through a PA system at every single venue so no issue. Both are awesome.
    www.dougmartinguitar.com