DjangoBooks.com

Django's guitar setup

Comments

• Al WatskyAl Watsky New JerseyVirtuoso
    edited May 2014 Posts: 440
    Yes all the break angles, string core diameters , everything has to be factored in. Each string is different. Its tedious.
    Like the F----"system" ? Ha !
    BTW Paul Reed Smith holds the patent on the articulated nut. When I asked him why he didn't ever bother defending his patent he told me that it wasn't worth the effort. Interesting to note that a guy who holds that patent does not compensate the nuts on his own very in tune guitars. He's got the nut placed correctly for the height of his setup. It all works just fine.
    Back in the day I would make a bone nut with a ledge that would allow compensation for each string.
    RMC also did the compensated nut . He found that not every player would accept extreme compensation on the G string , and some don't like it at all.
    Now if I need to I just move the take off point. That much simpler and works fine.
    I like to tune each string to E . If the nut and bridge are where they need to be that spreads things out nicely.
    Its all fine if its in a 2 cent ball park. Unless your cursed with a very good ear.
    Any of you guys ever have to set up a Steinberger Transtrem ?
    Factoring for the break angle behind the bridge.
    Its Krazy time consuming and needs to be adjusted after every string change.
    Fun !
    The GJ guitars have that minus fret, its handy , one less thing to obsess about.
    Buco
  • edited December 2023 Posts: 3

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator

@KyOteSwing I think it's very unlikely Django had low action by today's standards. You can hear he's playing quite hard on some recordings and that would result in excessive fret buzz which you don't hear too much of. I'm guessing he played more or less the same action that most people have today which is around 3mm. I've had lots of vintage Selmer guitars here over the years and they sound the most like Django when the action is at a pretty normal 3mm or so.

BillDaCostaWilliamsBuco
  • RipRip olympia, washingtonNew

Good point. Also, if you had been playing as much as Django did, from a young age, multiple gigs everyday, then your fingers are going to be very, very strong making vibrato a piece of cake.

BucoMichaelHorowitz
  • Teddy DupontTeddy Dupont Deity

I agree but that would have seemed a low action in the 1930s and 1940s which is why people who actually saw/played his guitar at that time thought he had a very low action.

MichaelHorowitzBuco

This thread talked a lot about the intonation. At some point in recent years I noticed my guitar not intonating well on the B string. Which it wasn't the case before or something I haven't noticed. Also at some point I replaced the zero fret with the higher one. Which gave me the feel I was after but I'm afraid that's what caused the intonation issues.

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel

@Buco sounds like you may need a neck reset. This happens to all guitars sooner or later. As the neck looses its original angle over time the fret alignment gets off causing intonation issues.

BucoBillDaCostaWilliams

If I split the difference between the two areas, it's not bad.

I'm still curious about what would you get if you recorded a guitar with modern day low action using the equipment of Django time. Would lo-fi mics, and everything else they used to get to vinyl, cover up some of the fret buzz or notes fretting out?

AndyW
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel

Yes, I've considered that. Vintage gear probably would cover up some buzzing and other extraneous noises but regardless, you can hear on some recordings, especially live ones, that Django is playing very hard. Also, they only had 10 gauge strings back then so the action had to be higher to accommodate that.

BillDaCostaWilliamsRipBuco