DjangoBooks.com

Hi Everyone!

EmersonEmerson Los AngelesNew
edited November 2013 in Gypsy Jazz 101 Posts: 3
I'm a long time lurker but this is my first post. I have learned so much from these forums and wanted to express my gratitude with a song! It's a bit of a work in progress, but it's the first thing I ever wrote with my newly acquired gypsy jazz guitar (Cigano GJ-10). I realize it may lean more on the western swing side of things...but I hope you still like it! :)

https://soundcloud.com/ryan-sound/paris-tennessee-1

Also, if theres anyone in the Los Angeles area interested in putting together a little band of this type of original music, let me know. I'm brand new to this music and would love to jam!

Cheers!

Comments

• CalebFSUCalebFSU Tallahassee, FLModerator Made in USA Dell Arte Hommage
    cool tune man welcome aboard.
    Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn't work hard.
  • StevearenoSteveareno ✭✭✭
    Welcome aboard, cool tune and excellent playing IMHO. I dig western swing (also GJ, old style country, blues, etc). No harm in mixing things up. I'm on the westside, but don't really play out anymore. Occasionally will go to a local coffee shop for open mics, or jams. The Hot Club of LA play at the Cinema Bar in Culver City on Mondays. The Icy Hot Club do some local gigs. Gonzalo used to gig around LA fairly regularly (saw GBQ at Liquid Kitty a couple of times) and even hosted a jam at Joe's for a while, but seems to be touring a lot these days. Seems like most of the Western Swing and retro Country (lucky Stars, Big Sandy, etc) is in the Valley. Janet Klein's back up band does some GJ gigs, as the HC Quintette. You probably know most of this already, but just in case. There are some LA GJ players around. Some post on the forum from time to time, but it's not exactly the Left Bank. Westwood Music and McCabes always seem to have a couple of guitars in stock (usually Dell Artes or Gitanes...Truetone had a Parisian). Just thought I'd chime in.
    Swang on,
  • EmersonEmerson Los AngelesNew
    Thanks guys, I appreciate your feedback!

I am fairly new to LA and have definitely heard that there are several great GJ players in the area. However, I haven't really explored venturing out and actually jamming with anyone. This forum was kind of my first stop :) Thanks for letting me know about some of those Western swing players. I will definitely check those people and places out! I'm still kind of caught in that grey area where I'm fairly confident in my ability to learn some GJ tunes...but haven't yet... at least to the degree where I am confident to sit in on a jam. My background has always been in writing songs and have sometimes felt its a bit of a chore to learn other's. I know that's probably been to my detriment as a guitarist and my ability to truly absorb and understand a style but I guess it's just how I'm wired. Writing original music is just what I love doing. I'm still new to this though so I guess there's no way around just buckling down and learning the tunes!