DjangoBooks.com

Mandolin in Early Jazz

joefjoef Wales, U.K.New
edited February 2006 in Mandolin Posts: 35
There is a nice example of early style jazz mandolin on the Folkways label, now handled by the Smithsonian.
The band were the Six and Seven Eighths String Band of New Orleans, and they began their playing careers around 1912.
Folkways recorded some of them in 1949.

They are the only recordings of a New Orleans string band I know of. Are there any others?

I'll attach an mp3 of Tiger Rag

regards
Joe

Comments

• joefjoef Wales, U.K.New
    Thanks Ted. Even if it's not "jazz" it still puts the mandolin there in the melting pot of New Orleans and gives players an earlier reference rather than working back from Grisman et al :-). I find it interesting how the mandolin plays lines in a similar way to New Orleans clarinet.
    You're right about the mix of tunes - this CD has classic jazz numbers eg Clarinet Marmalade, High Society and ODJB One-Step as well as things like Bei Mir Bist Du Schon, Tico-Tico and a Hawaiian medley.

There's some info on the band here: http://www.thejazzgazette.be/february2002issue.htm

regards
    Joe