2»

Comments

• dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    it's cuz you re on a mac.... serves you right :wink::wink:

how was the gig with sir robin? give my regards to eve
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    bbwood_98 wrote:
    Wow!
    My wife (A fantastic jazz singer) pointed out the following- starting on your bmin(b5)-
    Playing f lydian mode over this (f-g-a-b-c-d-e-f)
    Works well . . then the next (typically anyway) chord should be E7 (sometimes altered, but) over which you could play E mixolydian (E-F#-G#-A-B-C#-D-E) then you would be going to the "tonic" minor chord (usually in our style a m6) of A over which you could play a D Mixolydian idea! (d-e-F#-g-a-b-c).
    Cool . . .
    now i just have to figure out all the alterations that are possible, and then transpose this into every key!
    Cheers,
    B.

btw i m not quite sure getting your thing

1) f lydian over Bm7b5.... it's just B locrian
    2) if Bm7b5 was the previous chord, you naturally and logically assumed E7 would be the next chord... in such a case though, it would be an E7 of the minor persuasion (b9) ,therefore E mixo wouldn't be exactly a logical choice although the extensions of E mixo can be used over it (django has done so on numerous occasions -> minor swing 47-49 , dark eyes 47 etc...)... \
    3) Am chord... playing D mixo, would just be A dorian...

did you mean to think in terms of an F major chord over Bm7b5 , E chord over E7 and D major over Am?

personally i disagree with thinking in terms of scales/modes and such at this level (ie most tonal music)... it creates too many unecessary complications...

it's far more important to think harmonically which is the way wes, joe pass, pat martino, django did it
  • nwilkinsnwilkins New
    I'm glad you posted that Dennis - I was just going to ask why one would want to think of F Lydian (Cmajor scale) over Bmin7b5 when they could think B locrian or just plain C major. Personally I quite like Jimmy Bruno's theory of just trying to make up melodies using all 12 notes.
  • bbwood_98bbwood_98 Brooklyn, NyProdigy Vladimir music! Les Effes. . Its the best!
    Dennis,
    Yeah, I realized the b9th thing while i was writing, still- Because we don't think about music too much in a "linear" way very often in "Django Inspired Music" It leads us to other ideas . . . . At least when I think about it this way it leads me to new things.
    Brunos 12 note thing is great by the way.
    Eve says hi back . . . and the thing with robin was great funand I might even have got about 3 or 4 minutes of usable vids from it. So . . . when are you coming down to kick it in the city?
    Cheers,
    B.