DjangoBooks.com

Places in Samois

MathiasMathias New
edited June 2013 in Europe Posts: 4
Hey you!
I will be going to Samois this year, second time for me. Last year i didn't have a campsite, so when not on the island, i was camping in a small tent in the banks of the seine. This meant that i got the feeling that i was missing out on a lot of great jamming and networking. So the question is: what campsite is the best for just walking around and jam and listen? I realize that it is proberbly too late to make a resevation for a campsite, but is possible to hang around in there and play without a space? And: where should i put up my small tent if i dont get a space ?

Lots of silly questions i guess, but i want to make as much as possible of my stay :)

Oh and; any Danes here going? :)

Comments

• bbwood_98bbwood_98 Brooklyn, NyProdigy Vladimir music! Les Effes. . Its the best!
    Matias,
    My favorite place is samoreau - great for jamming, listening, and it is where a lot of great players stay, and hang out. the walk to the island is about 3 km, so not to bad; and very nice way to wind up and wind down from the main stage. I love camping there.
    B.
  • MathiasMathias New
    Great. Thanks!
    But is it possible to hang around there if i don t have a campsite?
    Hi Mathias,

Samoreau is a bit smaller and hotter than the other camping ground, Le petit barbeau, and le patron is bit more "on garde", there are even security folks at the weekend (never mind, no problem, except for thieves). If you arrive early (say tuesday or wednesday), you might arrange to rent a place at the river banks outside the camping ground (you have to pay, but can use the showers etc). There is a bar for late night jams and the prominent players sometimes show up there (if you 're lucky, right time). The Germans like to go there (some English as well, like the cucumber folks), saw Dennis Chang there.
    The other camping ground, Le petit barbeau is always filled up, has filthy sanitary facilities, is much larger and shady. I like that a lot more. There are more English and Dutch people. Owner is more relaxed, there is a parking lot nearby, where you might sleep in your car, wild camping near the river might be possible (in small amounts, the more the place gets crowded towards the weekend). A starting point for weekend tours for the locals, so don't spoil that place.
    There is a place river up between Samois and le petit barbeau, landing stage for the houseboats, where there are always a lot of wild campers, i think mostly from the Netherlands, with tents, camp fires and music, but no showers.
    Until the year before, it was possible, to camp at the fringe of the official festival parcing lot, nobody minded, but last year they closed and guarded that except for the evening. So things are always changing...
    I think the locals know, there are more visitors than accommodation facilities, so they keep an eye shut.

And of course you can enter the camping grounds as a visitor for jamming, looking etc. A lot of people do that, cruising with their cars between the two locations in the evening, trying to catch the moment...