DjangoBooks.com

French male vocalists?

PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭
edited February 2013 in Archtop Eddy's Corner Posts: 1,471
Not sure where to put this, but presuming we're talking live sound....a list of French (or French-speaking) jazz (or jazz-related) vocalists?

I've got it started with a mere few:

Jean Sablon
Jacques Brel
Serge Gainsbourg
-Paul

pas encore, j'erre toujours.

Comments

• bopsterbopster St. Louis, MOProdigy Wide Sky PL-1, 1940? French mystery guitar, ‘37 L-4
    Paul,

don't forget:

Yves Montand
    Maurice Chevalier

and more recent

Thomas Dutronc
    Sanseverino
  • martin bmartin b London✭✭ Epiphone Deluxe
    Hi Paul,
    Any list would have to start with Yves Montand (also a great actor), Charles Trenet (also a great songwriter) and Henri Salvadore (also a great guitarist).
    Other names of note off the top of my head: Charles Aznavour, Georges Ulmer, Georges Moustaki, and the very weird Boris Vian.
    Not sure I'd include Brel in the same category, but check out Georges Brassens in a similar vein.
    There's quite a number of modern singers doing a pop/chanson thing probably originated by Gainsbourg (who was a very sweet singer early on). Not really my field, but my favourite is Thomas Fersen.
    My personal interest as a guitarist in French music is the guys who worked with the singers. Henri Crolla and Didi Duprat worked extensively with Montand, as well as Edith Piaf, Juliette Greco etc. It's that chanson/jazz/musette/gypsy interface that fascinates me.
  • kevingcoxkevingcox Nova Scotia✭✭✭✭ Dupont MD50
    I enjoy Philippe Clay.
  • brandoneonbrandoneon Alpes-de-Haute-Provence, France✭✭✭
    Mouloudji (more like chanson)
    André Minvielle (more like scat)
    The organist Eddy Louiss sang in the vocal group "Les Double Six de Paris"
    Arthur H has a jazz album (kind of like listening to Tom Waits)
    On the more pop side of recent singers: Patrick Bruel, Danny Brillant
    And haven't Dorado and Bireli made albums that feature them singing?
  • swing68swing68 Poznan, Poland✭✭✭ Manouche Modele Orchestre, JWC Catania Swing
    And - love him or not - Sacha Distel. A very capable GJ player in his early days before realising that crooning paid better than la pompe.
    The war on Am7 and Cmaj7 begins here ...
  • PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭
    Thank you very much, everyone, a great bunch of singers to listen to. Can't believe I didn't add Yves Montand initially, as I knew he was a singer as well as actor - avid fan of Marcel Pagnol's work, and Montand's performances in Jean de Florette and Manon des Sources are among my favorite performances.

Lots to start with. Thank you, everyone.
    -Paul

pas encore, j'erre toujours.
  • If we include tose who sing in French we couls add Koen deCauter :shock:

His album of George Brassens songs is one of my faves.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • Joli GadjoJoli Gadjo Cardiff, UK✭✭✭✭ Derecho, Bumgarner - VSOP, AJL
    Stéphane SanSeverino (famous for playing a rare Dupont 6-strng banjo)
    David Gastine (Samy Daussat Trio)
    Enrico Macias (check out the Favino "Verseau" Double guitar)
    Michel Legrand, Benabar, claude Nougaro, Bernard Lavillier but they don't play guitar...
    - JG
  • Archtop EddyArchtop Eddy Manitou Springs, ColoradoModerator
    There's monster-rhythm guitarist and also singer Philippe "Doudou" Cuillerier, and much of the songs sang by Bamboula Ferret were also in French... AE
  • Saw hillipe at DFNW maybe 2010... He did one of the scats I have ever heard live.....
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed