DjangoBooks.com

Who wants to DJAM in MARIN County CA ??

anthon_74anthon_74 Marin county, CA✭✭✭✭ Alta Mira M 01
edited January 2013 in North America Posts: 561
Hey there,

I just wanted to check around and see if there are any Gypsy Jazzers (preferably guitar players) in the north bay area looking to JAM ? I live in San Rafael, and have a space where I can host a Jam, with as few as 2 people. Shoot me an email on this list if you're interested.

Cheers !

Anthony

Comments

• flavafilflavafil New

Well, it is just short of nine years later and I hope you’re still among the living. I’m a gypsy guitar player and would be interested in getting together for a jam. I also live in San Rafael. Please let me know if you’re still looking for players.

Phil

• flavafilflavafil New

Hmmm…it looks like anthon_74 is indeed no longer among the living. R.I.P. anthon_74. Any other gypsies in the Marin area?

• ScoredogScoredog Santa Barbara, Ca✭✭✭✭

I think there is a good chance he is alive but he swore off Gypsy Jazz a while back. You might want to PM him and see if he shows up, he did make a vid near the beginning of COVID. He was a jammer who loved to post. I enjoyed watching his jams with his dog walking around his living room, had a great homey vibe. Always felt that was Gypsy Jazz is about on a certain level.

Buco
  • flavafilflavafil New

Hey Scoredog, thanks for diving into the mix. Glad to hear anthon_74 is still with us. By “PM” I’m assuming you mean private message, but I’m not sure how to do that. Also, very cool video for Sado Manouche and awesome tune. Very impressive!

• ScoredogScoredog Santa Barbara, Ca✭✭✭✭
  • Dave_PDave_P Kensington, CANew Altamira M30D

Hi All - I live in Berkeley. I've been learning jazz guitar for years on my own, always almost ready to jam with people but never quite there. I used to live where I could walk to go see Stephane Wrembel play in Brooklyn, and he just blew everyone's minds, he was so good. I don't know why it took so long, but this week I just had this revelation. I need to be playing Gypsy! It's so much cooler! Why now? I don't know. I try not to think too much. So I bought a Gypsy guitar from this great store (thanks Michael!) and now I've started to learn rest picking on my old acoustic while I wait for it (feels like I've never touched a guitar before) I already know a few standards that cross over, the gypsy voicings, etc. I think I can get that pompe going.... I am down to jam with anyone who might need to be little patient while I get up the curve.

MichaelHorowitzbillyshakesrudolfochristBucoBillDaCostaWilliamscmcmurphy22
  • billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

Welcome to the forum. There is a TON of knowledge stored in the archives here and lots of folks willing to share theirs to help along the path. Dive in and don't be afraid to participate.

• cmcmurphy22cmcmurphy22 New Bumgarner, Zwinakis

Hey Dave,

you should definitely get in touch with Stephane wrembel for lessons. I’ve been studying with him for the past year. He’s an amazing teacher and will get you on the path for sure.

• Dave_PDave_P Kensington, CANew Altamira M30D

Thanks for the support! I will definitely use all of these resources on this site, youtube, etc. There's so much out there -- how lucky compared the 80s (or the 30s...). Good idea about Stephane. I have his book and I want to get through the exercises and then maybe hit him up next time I'm in NY. Seems like some great people in this community -- every time I watch another video the players are smiling....

• everetteverett san francisco✭✭✭

There's a weekly jam in SF every Wednesday at The Liberties. It's not exclusive to Django, but definitely rooted in it. There's a house band that does the first set, then folks get invited up. It's a pretty friendly and fun atmosphere! It's worth just coming for the opening set, because @V-dub always brings different top notch people to perform with.

Dave_PBillDaCostaWilliamsChristopheCarington