DjangoBooks.com

How close have you got to Django?

rimmrimm Ireland✭✭✭✭ Paul doyle D hole, washburn washington
edited December 2012 in Welcome Posts: 605
Now, this might be an interesting one-who have you meet that was in the company of the great one back in the day?
I once met his Chauffeur in Samois about 6 years ago, charming old man in his 90's who asked me if my Manouche gitbox was a 'Zeelmer' . Anyone beat that? Winner gets a 'No' prize.
I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell

Comments

• Benny Carter jammed with Django and recorded with him. Does hearing and seeing him count or does it have to be a convesation?
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • noodlenotnoodlenot ✭✭✭
    i don´t know but benny carter rocks! (or swings, or whatever) :)
  • rimmrimm Ireland✭✭✭✭ Paul doyle D hole, washburn washington
    ..I think you have to have had a chat/pint or at least handshake with chap-Agreed on Benny Carter-fantastic. 8)
    I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell
  • swingnationswingnation ✭✭
    I got to meet Les Paul a while back. Told him I was a huge fan of his early work and I asked him how much influence Django had on his stuff. He told me "there's two ways to play the guitar- the right way and the wrong way. Django played the right way and I try to do the same". Then he gave me his pick...
  • Teddy DupontTeddy Dupont Deity
    I've met Coleridge Goode who recorded with Django and stood in exactly the same place in Coleridge's apartment as this photo was taken. :D

Ted Cherrett, whom I knew, saw Django play several times.

I have attempted to speak to Stephane Grappelli several times. :roll:

My mother and father saw Django and the HCQ play in the UK in 1938. I still have the program.
  • WELL................. as my only claim doesn't meet the standards then I will have to hope that one of the musicians I met when a tad talked or played with him. :lol:

One of my Christmas projects is to transcribe one of Benny's solos on Farewell Blues which featured Django on guitar and the Hawk on tenor.
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    edited December 2012 Posts: 1,854
    Well, hate to brag, but after a concert in Akron, OH in the fall of 1987, I was able to get backstage and shake Stephane's hand...

And for just five dollars each, you guys can shake MY hand!

But Jim Philip, a now-deceased trumpet player with whom I used to play in Dixieland bands in Hamilton, ON, once told me a story that beats the hell out of a mere handshake.

Jim had some kind of menial job at Hamilton's concert hall, Hamilton Place, when Grapelli was booked to play there, but there was a backstage crisis: Grappelli refused to go onstage because he hadn't been able to bring his stash across the Canadian border, and it was apparently his habit never to play without a quick smoke-up prior to the gig.

So since the management of Hamilton Place knew Jim was a musician, he was the lucky one who was delegated to run out to the street and cop some dope. Jim said he was able to make the necessary purchase quickly enough so that the concert could begin after only a slight delay...

(FWIW, I can't guarantee that this story is true, but I do tend to believe Jim. He was a big band lead trumpet player and not a pot smoker or even particularly a Grappelli fan, and I genuinely don't think he had any reason to stretch the truth...?)

Will

Oh, yeah, almost forgot... My late mother had a real good looking cousin, now deceased, who married a pretty wealthy guy, Vance, who had somehow been able to get some kind of banking job in Paris in the 1930's...

Vance was a former big band sax player and a music lover and at a family reunion one night I asked him if, while in Paris, he'd ever heard of my hero, a fabulous Paris guitarist named Django Reinhardt...?

Bingo---Hell, yes! Vance said he used to go see Django and the HCQ at some dump in the Latin Quarter whenever possible, and especially remembered one memorable night when Cole Porter was there and was introduced by the MC, to great applause from the French audience.
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • What....Stephane a viper....who'd a thunk it
  • StringswingerStringswinger Santa Cruz and San Francisco, CA✭✭✭✭ 1993 Dupont MD-20, Shelley Park Encore
    I have performed two concerts with Larry Coryell (and hung out a bit with him as well). Larry recorded an album with Grapelli, who of course knew Django quite well. :wink:

Two degrees of separation for me. Seeing as Django died before I was born, that is almost as close as I can get.
    "When the chord changes, you should change" Joe Pass
  • Jake FisherJake Fisher Columbus, OhioNew
    Well, hate to brag, but after a concert in Akron, OH in the fall of 1987, I was able to get backstage and shake Stephane's hand...

And for just five dollars each, you guys can shake MY hand!

But Jim Philip, a now-deceased trumpet player with whom I used to play in Dixieland bands in Hamilton, ON, once told me a story that beats the hell out of a mere handshake.

Jim had some kind of menial job at Hamilton's concert hall, Hamilton Place, when Grapelli was booked to play there, but there was a backstage crisis: Grappelli refused to go onstage because he hadn't been able to bring his stash across the Canadian border, and it was apparently his habit never to play without a quick smoke-up prior to the gig.

So since the management of Hamilton Place knew Jim was a musician, he was the lucky one who was delegated to run out to the street and cop some dope. Jim said he was able to make the necessary purchase quickly enough so that the concert could begin after only a slight delay...

(FWIW, I can't guarantee that this story is true, but I do tend to believe Jim. He was a big band lead trumpet player and not a pot smoker or even particularly a Grappelli fan, and I genuinely don't think he had any reason to stretch the truth...?)

Will

Oh, yeah, almost forgot... My late mother had a real good looking cousin, now deceased, who married a pretty wealthy guy, Vance, who had somehow been able to get some kind of banking job in Paris in the 1930's...

Vance was a former big band sax player and a music lover and at a family reunion one night I asked him if, while in Paris, he'd ever heard of my hero, a fabulous Paris guitarist named Django Reinhardt...?

Bingo---Hell, yes! Vance said he used to go see Django and the HCQ at some dump in the Latin Quarter whenever possible, and especially remembered one memorable night when Cole Porter was there and was introduced by the MC, to great applause from the French audience.

:shock: .... we have a winner
    django%20banner.jpg