DjangoBooks.com

Clarinet Question

AhabAhab GB✭✭
edited May 2013 in Woodwinds Posts: 88
Hey there,

Bit of a non-GJ related question but thought I'd ask anyway as there's lots of knowledgeable people on this forum! I was listening to Benny Goodman's Moonglow last night and the thought struck me that there doesn't seem to be that many clarinet players from that era who made the transition from swing to be-bop and cool jazz. I must confess that my knowledge of these things is a bit limited so I might be completely wrong! If that's the case and there are any good players that play more modern lines I'd love to hear them.

Thanks,

Ahab

Comments

• lezardlezard IrelandNew
    Posting for interest. It does seem a bit strange considering how popular the sax is in the more modern jazz styles, I guess it's either that the clarinet's tone didn't fit or that it's just diffuclt to bop on a clarinet.
    If you wan't a more modren take on the instrument then Eric Dolphy's one to look out for and Anat Cohen too, she mixes swing with some more modern stuff to great effect.
    I can't think of anybody off the top of my head who started in the swing era and made the transistion.
  • MarkAMarkA Vermont✭✭✭ Holo Epiphany, Gibson L-5
    For bebop clarinet, Buddy DeFranco may be the best known, a great player who moved from swing to bop, always on clarinet. Check out his website www.buddydefranco.com