DjangoBooks.com

Big City, Dunlop Gator; pick point, rounded edge?

Comments

• PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭
    Totally agree with you, Jay. I initially wrote a much (much...) longer post, but I don't want to dilute what you say with a sea of words. Spot on, in my opinion.
    -Paul

pas encore, j'erre toujours.
  • Tele295Tele295 San Buenaventura (Latcho Drom), CA✭✭✭ Gitane DG300, D500
    This is sort of an aside, but maybe is addressed to your inquiry. When we recorded our CD, our Wegens we use live were just too...much for the microphones. I ended up using the round corner of a Pearse ebony pick for my leads, which gave a fat tone without much pick noise, and Jill used a completely round "Django Button" for rhythm instead of her 7mm Wegen aka "Boomhower."

Live, I just ease up on the Wegen some when playing rhythm, and dig in for the leads.
    Jill Martini Soiree - Gypsy Swing & Cocktail Jazz
    http://www.jillmartinisoiree.com
    Tele295 wrote:
    This is sort of an aside, but maybe is addressed to your inquiry. When we recorded our CD, our Wegens we use live were just too...much for the microphones. I ended up using the round corner of a Pearse ebony pick for my leads, which gave a fat tone without much pick noise, and Jill used a completely round "Django Button" for rhythm instead of her 7mm Wegen aka "Boomhower."

Live, I just ease up on the Wegen some when playing rhythm, and dig in for the leads.

Thanks, Tele, good experience point. When you play live and use your wegen - by ease up, do you mean you play the point, and just play more lightly, or do you switch to the round edge on your wegen?

It's kind of crazy, but I'm now accustomed enough to using the Big City point, that going back to the Dunlop round edge or side, feels somewhat weird. That happened surprisingly quickly.
    -Paul

(Not sure why I can't edit posts).

PS: Love the "Boomhower." Beats one of our violinist's term, "Pepto Bismol." :D
    -Paul

Thanks, Tele, good experience point. When you play live and use your wegen - by ease up, do you mean you play the point, and just play more lightly, or do you switch to the round edge on your wegen?

It's kind of crazy, but I'm now accustomed enough to using the Big City point, that going back to the Dunlop round edge or side, feels somewhat weird. That happened surprisingly quickly.

I just lighten up on the attack. I can't be spinning that thing around, the music goes by too fast!
    Thanks, Tele, good info. In my humbler way, I hear you. I've grown accustomed to the point, in fairly quick order, and do the same thing.

Say hi to my hometown, Two Trees and The Point (if it still exists). :D
    -Paul

The Trees are still standing, and the Point hasn't washed away yet!

66304_4714760028227_2086961786_n.jpg
    Oh, man, thank you! A lot of memories from both places! That shadow in the middle of the trees is my friends and I, from close to half a century ago....hiked and ate there, so often.

Very kind of you to post this beautiful pic. Cheers, friend.

Paul
    -Paul

• BonesBones Moderator
    Hey Miles,

Where is that picture?

thanks
    Bones wrote:
    Hey Miles,

Where is that picture?

thanks

Hi Bones, I can jump in. You're looking at Ventura, California, about a half hour south of Santa Barbara. The "Two Trees" in the background are a kind of landmark for the foothills...I grew up there, surfing, hiking, plinking, being a truant, general boyish folly.

It's pretty moving to me that my boyhood home has such a top-notch gypsy swing crew in Jill and Miles & Co. Way to go, guys.
    -Paul