DjangoBooks.com

Left Hand Technique

Comments

• PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭
    Jazzaferri wrote:
    Its the one here stating on E 6 string he plays the chromtic scale playing open stings where applicable and index on f1 middle on f2 ring on f3 and pinky on f4. Using the correct picking rules its trickier than one would think to get it smooth and crisp.

A quibbling point, but he's actually sliding up to F4 when ascending, using the ring finger, and to F1 (using index, when descending). Not using his pinky (if it's the same chromatic run thing that we're talking about, called "Stochelo's Technique" on the In the Style of DVD).

"Getting it smooth and crisp" - roger that. I find switching strings at any kind of speed the most difficult, the first tone on the new string sounds disconnected from the previous string's run. A great exercise for R-L hand coordination (as are many of the phrases, the one's Stochelo refers to as "good for the technique.")
    -Paul

pas encore, j'erre toujours.
    i noticed that there are 2 types of playing with the pick. some people gently rest their ring finger and pinky down, like stochello, angello debarre etc.. and some who keep their palm closed and never touch the soundboard like romane, or yorgui loeffler or me :) and i think this is the category in which this problem occurs. and speaking of yourgui, here is an example where i think it occurs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rokJ5yYTVHk&t=0m30s (there's less power when going to the top string, imo. i may be wrong)

Not opining on either way (since I suspect it all has to do with learned habits, and relaxation), but in the book, Gypsy Jazz: in searchof Django Reinhardt and the Soul of Gypsy Swing, pg. 283, Michael Dregni describes his master lesson with David Reinhardt - and Reinhardt corrects his right hand to close his palm completely, with nothing touching the soundboard. I've actually not seen D. Reinhardt play, except on Live at Vienne, so I'm not sure what he actually does, but the book clearly draws this as a fairly strong point, as far as Reinhardt is concerned.
    -Paul

• edited October 2012 Posts: 3,707
    The critical point in all of this is for your hand and fingers is to be relaxed, and not be in the way. Hands and the parts that are attached to them come in a variety of shapes sizes.

That impacts how the guitar is held, the break angle of the wrist, how the fingers hang, how a person holds a pick....and more.

For me it takes effort to curl my fingers under. I hold my hand as if I am going to pick. Let it hang completely loosely not stretching or clenching. Then I curl my index finger to my thumb. Insert pick and play . My thumb tip is level with the base of my index finger with a flat hand. :shock: Its a defect musically but the enlargement exercises havent seemed to work. :twisted: :lol:

Flat strum, rest stroke pick.either works.. My fingers hang below the string and the tips of the nails brush fingerboard. Oh well. At least I am relaxed. Also am in perfect position if I wish to use my figers to pluck strings. :wink:
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Hi Jazz,

I have the DVD called Jazz Manouche in the style of Stochelo Rosenberg (produced by Dennis Chang) is that the one that you are referring to?

Thanks
  • I think thats the one. Its been a few years. Let me know if its not and I will see if I can get someone to help me video it andost.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
    The Stochelo DVD I'm talking about, anyway, has a bunch of tunes over which Stochelo solos, and Denis accompanies, and for the second part, "Lessons," which covers Stochelo's view of right (and wrong) rhythm, and then lead - the aforementioned chromatic run across the strings, vibrato (in different contexts), then a ton of phrases.
    -Paul

• BonesBones Moderator
    Ok thanks, I'll take a look at that one. I checked it out a long time ago after I bought it but it was way above my head at the time. Maybe now I can get some bits out of it.

thanks
    Bones wrote:
    Ok thanks, I'll take a look at that one. I checked it out a long time ago after I bought it but it was way above my head at the time. Maybe now I can get some bits out of it.

thanks

Hey Bones, it's funny. Outside of some very small ventures into lead playing (waltzes, Minor Swing 1939, and smatterings of others), I've concentrated exclusively on rhythm playing, probably out of self-consciousness and fear, as much as any design on my part. Denis's DVDs, and Stochelo's, were the first to give me any confidence whatsoever in lead playing. I suspect you're light years "ahead" of me in this way, but I can aver, anyway, that getting some of Stochelo's phrases into my daily playing sure has helped. I love this DVD.
    -Paul

• BonesBones Moderator
    Paul,

I've pretty much stuck with Gypsy Picking and Django transcriptions to this point. I've dabbled in transcribing some Stochelo and Bireli but I really feel that it is way beyond me but I'll certainly give that vid another look since it's been a long time and my technique has improved a bit (at least the right hand) but it is a very slow process for me since I've only started this whole thing very late in life.

This is the DVD that I have:

http://shoppingcart.djangobooks.com/dvd ... e-dvd.html

Is that the same one that you guys are referring to?

thanks
    Bones wrote:
    Paul,

I've pretty much stuck with Gypsy Picking and Django transcriptions to this point. I've dabbled in transcribing some Stochelo and Bireli but I really feel that it is way beyond me but I'll certainly give that vid another look since it's been a long time and my technique has improved a bit (at least the right hand) but it is a very slow process for me since I've only started this whole thing very late in life.

This is the DVD that I have:

http://shoppingcart.djangobooks.com/dvd ... e-dvd.html

Is that the same one that you guys are referring to?

thanks

Hey Bones - yep, that's the one I'm referring to, anyway. Not sure if Jay is talking about another. The first exercise on the "Lead" portion of the lessons is this chromatic run thing.

I'm certain you're light years ahead of me in ability. I've very sketchily dabbled in lead, and focus almost everything on trying to perfect my rhythm playing. That said, I've found the phrases portion of the DVD to be really wonderful. It might just be because they're the first phrases that I can play, that sound GJ, sound nice, that I can do more or less from a sense of muscle memory (outside of the exercises in Michael H's book, a couple of waltzes - and of those, I've been too unfocused to learn their entirety, I'm afraid - smatterings from Daniel Givone, Gonzalo Bergara's online help, and Stephane W's book).

I'm not at the point where I can transcribe easily or well, so I guess what I'm saying is that, like Denis's DVDs, for a baby like me, I find the audio with visual demonstration to be a phenomenal helping hand. In a word, speaking personally, they've helped to boost this poor (desirous) kid's confidence.
    -Paul