DjangoBooks.com

Patrick Saussois left us last night

FrancoisFrancois MontrealNew
edited September 2012 in Archtop Eddy's Corner Posts: 2
Hi guys,

For those you knew Patrick or just appreciate his music, i have the sad news this morning from his wife Lodie that he passed away after complication of his current health state.

Everybody knew that he was living the very sad "Lockin' Syndrom" - a permanent state also called "Vegetable" state. He could hear you, barely move an arm in order to express an emotion, he could smile also when hearing funny anecdotes of the past. The past he could remember very well, but not the 5 last minutes.

There'll be Patrick's music on TSF (French JAzz Radio - available on Internet also) on monday.

I'll always keep warm "souvenirs" from the moment spent with him and I'll let Archtop share his thoughts since we both met him around the same time.

Ciao guys

Francois Rousseau
Djangomontreal.com
Francois Rousseau
www.djangomontreal.com

Comments

• kevingcoxkevingcox Nova Scotia✭✭✭✭ Dupont MD50
    Thanks Francois,

I remember well seeing him play in Montreal, largely thanks to you.

Truly a legend.

-Kevin
  • Sad news indeed. My heart goes out to his family.

He will be missed and fondly remembered.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    So sorry to hear this. Patrick was always the life of the party during the early Djangofests. Those of us half his age couldn't hope to match his enthusiasm for music and life in general. He will be sorely missed....but his significant contributions to this genre will live on.

M
  • Bob HoloBob Holo Moderator
    He made me feel comfortable when I felt stressed, and when I was happy, he made me feel happier. He was kind to me when I screwed up and effusive with praise when I did well.

Imagine for a moment how the world would be different if everyone were like that.

Rest easy, good gentleman.
    You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.
  • rimmrimm Ireland✭✭✭✭ Paul doyle D hole, washburn washington
    Never got to meet him but he seemed to have a great vibe about him.. God Bless.
    I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell
  • StringswingerStringswinger Santa Cruz and San Francisco, CA✭✭✭✭ 1993 Dupont MD-20, Shelley Park Encore
    He was a fine jazz guitarist. Trying to figure out how he did what he did was difficult, him being a southpaw and all.

The way I see it, if you can make some good music while you are here, you have lived well.

Patrick certainly did that.

RIP
    "When the chord changes, you should change" Joe Pass
  • NewcastleBudNewcastleBud Erstwhile✭✭✭✭
    A very nice man indeed.
    Rest In Peace Mr.Saussois.
    I think, therefore I am......I think.
  • Craig BumgarnerCraig Bumgarner Drayden, MarylandVirtuoso Bumgarner S/N 001
    I did not have to pleasure of meeting him, but his music was certainly an influence on me. I listened to his Alma Sinti recordings over and over in the most formative phase of learning. I love his unique take on this music. Though we never met, I feel I, and from the sounds of it, all of us have lost a friend.
  • PhilPhil Portland, ORModerator Anastasio
    I'm very saddened to hear this...we were at DFNW this week at breakfast when Archtop Eddy broke the news to us...it was a great pleasure to meet Patrick at DFNW in 2004 & 2005. We will all treasure the time spent in his company with his huge smile. His music is a joy to listen to. Always uplifting. His spirit will live on through his great music. In honour of Patrick here's a short clip from his show with Alma Sinti at DFNW 2005. My condolences to his friends & family.

http://youtu.be/0344e1Mdc_U

Salut

Phil
  • Archtop EddyArchtop Eddy Manitou Springs, ColoradoModerator
    Hello all. I just returned about an hour ago from DjangoFest NW so I haven't been able to respond to this thread until now. There were many people at DFNW who knew, met or heard Patrick's music. Our special Gypsy guests this year -- Tcha, Lollo, and Paulus -- all knew Patrick well. Also, Patrick played at DFNW in past years with Robin, Pearl Django, John Jorgenson, Gonzalo and many, many other artists.

Robin offered some very touching comments about Patrick and he and Tcha then played Nuages in remembrance. Other artists also dedicated material to Patrick and there were many fond memories shared among the players and fans.

I met Patrick in the summer of 2000. My wife Laura and I had just landed in Paris and my good friend Pascal Guimbard met us at the airport and rushed us off to a downtown area where Patrick and Alma Sinti were playing at a record store. Within 45 minutes of the plane landing, we were hearing the music of Alma Sinti surrounding us in this packed record store. When they took a break, I said to Pascal let's go talk with him. Easy for me, because I didn't speak French so Pascal would have to do all of the talking! He said, "What are we going to talk about?" I said, "I don't know... ask him if he wants to sell his guitar..." With this little icebreaker, Pascal, Laura and I met one of the most generous, loving and thoughtful musicians of the Gypsy Jazz genre.

In the end, not only did Patrick sell me his guitar (a lefty Gerome archtop), but he invited us over to his house the next day and we spent hours looking at his incredible lefty guitar collection, records, CDs and other Gypsy Jazz memorabilia. We also met his wonderful wife Lodie who is a fine artist in her own right.

A couple of nights later at the Samois festival, Laura and I were walking near the front of the stage when Lodie came running up to us waving her hands. She talked excitedly with Laura who spoke some French. Laura's eyes got big and she said to me, "Patrick is getting ready to go on stage and he wants you to play with him!" This was my first Samois festival and I'd been playing Gypsy Jazz for only a year or so. My knees turned to total jello! I politely refused knowing I was nowhere near ready for such an honored opportunity. So instead of me, Patrick went on stage that night with Daniel Givone, a very smart choice on his part indeed. I will, however, always remember his generosity in wanting to share his special Samois stage-time with me, a new-found friend.

Over time, Patrick also sold me his very special lefty Favino guitar which I had with me at DjangoFest this year. Ever since his lock-down, I have made it a point to usually play one of his guitars. I plan to continue this practice as I remember this great musician and friend. It is an honor for me to be custodian of his instruments that brought so much joy to so many people.

We will miss you Patrick. I will miss you Patrick. May you finally rest in peace my friend.

Archtop Eddy