DjangoBooks.com

First Gypsy guitar - Dhole or oval?

2»

Comments

• BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    GuitArtMan wrote:
    Well in my case even thumb wrapping on a Fender style (1 5/8') nut is all but impossible. When I wrap my thumb around the grab the low E string, it pulls my hand so far out of position I just can't do anything else. Chording, riffing, next to impossible.

Keep in mind that you don't need to "wrap" your thumb around the neck. All you need is to be able to touch the low E string with the flesh of the side of your thumb...
    It's not fretted like you would with your other fingers.
    Push your palm towards the back of the neck, let you fingers turn sideways so they are not parallel to the frets...
    Start by just muting that low E right over the fret, and I mean right over the fret, NOT in the middle pushing towards the wood of the fretboard...
    Concentrate on stopping it from ringing when you play a chord like G diminished X4535X.
    One day soon it'll start to sound like a muffled note and then clearer and clearer= 34535X... keep trying and be patient... If you can mute it you'll be able to fret it... eventually.
    If not, don't worry too much. Although they are practical, most thumb chords can be changed for something else and lots of players don't actually fret those low notes, they just mute them.