DjangoBooks.com

New CD: Marcel Loeffler

MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
edited March 2006 in CD, DVD, and Concert Reviews Posts: 6,153

Comments

• stublastubla Prodigy Godefroy Maruejouls
    This is a fantastic CD!!
    Marcel Loeffler is a superb accordion player,the best i think in this style.More feel imo than Ludovic Beier or Galliano.
    Yorgui Loeffler's playing on this cd shows a new maturity;particularly on "Ou est tu mon amour"-a really sensitive performance
    Its great to hear Yourgui with a really mature rhythm section(as opposed to his normal trio)it brings out the best in him
    The cd(my cd of the last year)also features great Bireli on two tracks.
    BTW the liner notes mention Marcel lived in the U.S for awhile (playing Tex mex and fusion!)How many of us knew that!!!????
    Do yourself a favour and snap it up!!!
    Stu
  • brandoneonbrandoneon Alpes-de-Haute-Provence, France✭✭✭
    This CD truly is amazing, and he definitely ranks high among other jazz accordionists. As far as personal taste goes, I agree that his playing has more feeling than Ludovic Beier's. But he's still no Galliano ... it's still not clear to me if Marcel Loeffler could release an album as incredible as 'Ruby, My Dear'. Anyway, instead of comparing him to people he doesn't sound like, I'll paraphrase the liner notes, which sum up his style perfectly: after deciphering Django's music, he went on to work out the secrets of Art van Damme and Gus Viseur. These influences are clearly heard in his playing. Being an accordionist I can't really comment on the playing of the string section, but he invites Marcel Azzola for 2 amazing duets. Double Scotch is worth the price of admission!
    BTW the liner notes mention Marcel lived in the U.S for awhile (playing Tex mex and fusion!)How many of us knew that!!!????

This is most likely a bad translation. While the English notes say that his curiousity prompted him to travel, the same French notes don't mention that he traveled per se. Rather, I would interpret the original as meaning that his curiousity directed him towards the US and its music. Much like the musical curiousity of so many people on this forum has directed them towards Europe, and gypsy jazz.