DjangoBooks.com

Help deciding between DG330 and GJ 10 and D500

Howdy, a while back I purchased the Cigano GJ 10, due to immensely dry weather where I live the Cigano had become unplayable after a few weeks of use, the neck bowed and the entire fretboard is buzzing. I humidified its brains out for weeks and had it looked at by guitar techs who were not able to return it to being playable. Very sad, as it was a very nice sounding guitar but I was told it is fixable but I'd need to invest more money into the repair.

I've also a chance to purchase a D500 used for very cheap, but was told originally that the GJ10 was an overall better guitar.

I was curious if anyone has experience with the Jorgenson DG330 model. Will this be as likely to suffer from problems like the Cigano? The guitar is a grand and a half new, but used I can get it for more like 700, do you guys think its worth it? Any thoughts or impressions on that model is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
-mike

Comments

• Tele295Tele295 San Buenaventura (Latcho Drom), CA✭✭✭ Gitane DG300, D500
    Any guitar needs care & maintenance. Extreme weather conditions always wreck havoc with wooden instruments, whether it's a Cigano or a high end European guitar. What was the repairman suggesting to fix the Cigano?
    Jill Martini Soiree - Gypsy Swing & Cocktail Jazz
    http://www.jillmartinisoiree.com
    I have tons of much cheaper guitars made of much better wood and built quality that have been sitting around for nearly a decade, none of them went bad just by sitting around, the Cigano did within a month. Cause of failure aside, I no longer want to impart anymore time and money into it. I've done everything I was instructed to do by experts, even Michael H's tips for fixing it didn't help. I got a solid month of great playing out of it, its been unplayable for the past few months. I no longer want to attempt to salvage it unless the other models I mentioned are worth it.
  • HereticHeretic In the Pond✭✭✭
    All I can add is that the 3 Saga Gitane guitars that I've had have been excellent for the money. I've had a DG-500 D-hole, a DG-250-M maple oval-hole and my present DG-300 John Jorgenson model oval-hole.
    Each has been stable.
    Thanks for the impressions. I'm going to give the DG330 a try. :)
  • TooheyToohey New
    I have owned all of the guitars mentioned...I like the cigano because it's so cheap...but yeah the dg 300 was my favorite from that list...I always liked that d shaped neck n think ebony fingerboard with Brazilian...in that price range I'd say it's your best bet...that or Mabey an alta Mira...