DjangoBooks.com

Random thoughts of a fool...

13»

Comments

• Svanis1337Svanis1337 ✭✭✭
    @Bones: Right click the attachment and click Save as, then when it's downloaded, play it.
  • kevingcoxkevingcox Nova Scotia✭✭✭✭ Dupont MD50
    Oh I'm not mad, sorry if I gave that impression, I just thought this was a really weird conversation with people saying the same thing but seeming to think they disagree. I also have a habit of sticking my nose in conversations where it doesn't belong.

Cheers,

-Kevin
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    Hi Bones, nice to hear from you, buddy...

Sorry the version you posted with the futuristic whole-tone intro isn't the one I was talking about...

Try this--- go to iTunes and search for Nuages AND Django. When the results come up, choose version number nine "Platinum Series" which has a length of 3:02.

Now, you don't even have to spend 99 cents if you don't want to, because if you press the little button and listen to the sample clip, you can hear the passage we're talking about, 1:17 to 1:19.

But if you do spend the 99 cents and buy the song, you'll hear the passage at 2:02 to 2:04.

Personally, I'd strongly urge "spend the 99 cents" because to me this will always be the definitive version of the tune... not only for the amazing guitar solo but also the brilliant arps behind Grappelli's statement of the melody.

Will

PS Jazzaferri, thanks for your kind words, I too hope that one day we'll meet. My wife has announced that this fall the two of us will be taking that cross-Canada train ride, so as part of that trip it'd be lovely to get together for a session in Victoria and hear your guitar and soprano... btw, would you consider yourself primarily a guitarist or saxophonist?
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • I'm love sax for lead playing and band stuff and guitar for rhythm lead and solo work. Other than that I cant honestly say which I am primarily. I played piano and sax as a really young guy and then got into bass and guitar in me teens. At one time played all 4.

I'd love to get together when you get here. Lots of room in the studio or if weather is nice out on the back deck. Coffee is always on and there's usually beer and wine in the fridge.I just hope its not in the first two weeks of June as I will be in Chicago. Gonna pick up a new to me Keilwerth Shadow alto..

I have had to pretty much stopped sop for now due to shoulder injury. Its slowly getting better, two forward one back kinda thing.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    Sorry to hear about your shoulder and not being able to play soprano... I thought from your little photo that that was your main horn, but alto is cool too... in fact all the saxes are... do you ever play bari?

Due to being laid up with this @#$% illness (btw, it's the same #$% thing I had a couple of years ago when I wrote you my own personal lyrics for "Letcho Gurgo"

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=7890&hilit=+lyrics

Anyway, once again I can't play my guitar for at least a week because of the little plastic IV tube that's feeding me strong antibiotics.

So Thursday night I had to miss a gig across the border in Buffalo NY playing with a great reedman, Brian Bauer, aka "Doctor Jazz".

http://jazzbugs.com

Brian can really wail and he plays all the saxes from bass to sopranino; I bet you guys would get along great.

What is rather amazing to me is Brian's virtuosity and simultaneous very limited knowledge of chords; it's funny when he tries to make up little chord grilles for the rest of the band to play some crazy tune from the twenties--- he usually gets the tonic and dominant chords right but most of the other ones are pretty weird!

So my question is--- how DO you sax players improvise so great and not spend all your time studying arps and stuff?

Will
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."