DjangoBooks.com

I Need Serious Advice on How to Move Forward

Comments

• W.BW.B New
    i came across this website full of appergios diagrams.

maybe its usefull for you. http://www.guitar-chords.org.uk/arpeggios/c-major-arpeggios.html
  • delb0ydelb0y ✭✭
    Useful thread - thanks guys!

I appear to have adopted the 'learn a couple of licks for each chord type' methodology by default. A couple from Dennis's DVDs, a couple from Gonzalo's book, and a couple from Django himself. Every time I learn a new lick one of those old ones falls out the other side of my memory...so I'm just going to stick to those few for now :-)

Derek
  • englishjanetenglishjanet NetherlandsNew
    Hello Chet ,loved your video... I'm 58 female and lefthanded so have little going for me as far as gypsy jazz is concerned but I'm determined to keep going.. I love this music and its a joy to pick up my "leftie"guitar everyday and practice.. Not sure how far I'll get but just to be able to jam with others would be cool. I start learning properly next week from a GJ player in Amsterdam which will probably speed me up....Chet enjoy what your doing and good luck with playing ,keep swinging...
    Janet :)
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    Keep it going, Janet. 58 ain't so old!

Who are you going to see in Amsterdam? You're right, a little one-on-one with a good teacher will move you forward very nicely.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • W.BW.B New
    im curious too .. are you going to take 1 on 1 lessons from robin nolan ?
    i still need to e-mail him back about my first lesson with him as teacher.

we also have kostas but dunno him , just saw his advertisement as a guitar teacher somewhere on a second hand market website when i searched for django records.
    this is his myspace.
    http://www.myspace.com/kostasgiannakopoulos74

keep in mind a cheap guitar teacher can also be a expensive guitar teacher.. allot of teachers can steer you in the wrong direction right from the start they just learn you songs and leech money from you and dont learn you the right things.
    in the long run you are better of to learn it from a well know teacher instead from a house teacher if you know what i mean :)
  • Depending on ones level and time spent in practice it can work well to have a 1-2 hr session with someone really good once very month or two vs once a week for half an hour

Frequency is good with beginners as that way errors can be caught early and corrected often once one gets to an intermediate to advanced level for some more time to get down what is being worked on is better.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    i nearly forgot about this, but here's how total beginners should practice... take one phrase and repeat it throughout:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZaDnuaOojA

if you watch videos of stochelo rosenberg as a child, that's what he did!
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Hi Dennis,

Nothing was on that link. I think the video was moved or something.

Thanks
  • It worked for me
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭
    At 50, and with a bod that has, well, seen some prematurely hard traveling, I don't feel so bad. Inspirational, folks, very much appreciated, personally. Denis, thanks as always, and Ben, really looking forward to seeing you at DIJ.
    -Paul

pas encore, j'erre toujours.