DjangoBooks.com

Altamira M30

Comments

• anthon_74anthon_74 Marin county, CA✭✭✭✭ Alta Mira M 01
    That big fat awesome neck gave me tendonitis in both wrists for 6 months when I first started the style...
    Jon wrote:
    anthon_74 wrote:

One thing you should know - The NECK, while U shaped like the DG 300, it is not nearly as thick as the DG 300. The DG is more of a rounded U, while the alta mira is more of a square-ish U shape.

The next batch will have C shaped necks, so these will have a more ergonomic modern feel like a Dupont.

That's a shame. I was hoping to buy an Altimira D hole as a backup to my Barault, not only because they apparently sound alright for the money (and I'd love a D hole), but also because there aren't many other cheaper gypsy guitars out there with "proper" sized necks. One of the great things about the DG-300 is it's relatively chunky neck, but most of the other cheaper selmacs I've played have these horrible little whispy bits of wood on them that may be a bit easier on beginners fingers, but really let down anyone willing to persevere for a good solid feel. I hope the M30 neck doesn't get too thin in its next incarnation...

Jon
  • Aaron SAaron S New
    jscook777 wrote:

Thanks a lot for posting this. The guitar definitely has a nice sound. Too bad Michael's not taking anymore pre-orders.

One of the features that attracted me to this guitar is the fact that it has a thicker Selmer style neck. It's disappointing to hear that the next batch will have a C shaped neck. I guess I'll have to continue my search for a new guitar.

-Aaron
  • anthon_74anthon_74 Marin county, CA✭✭✭✭ Alta Mira M 01
    Hey Andrew, if you can afford a manouche Latcho Drom Nauges model, it's the same guitar, just with the Dell arte stamp. (though I think it's the M01, not the M30 so it's laminate)...

I imagine if you bought one already in stock, it will have that nice thick neck you want.

Cheers
  • jscook777jscook777 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks a lot for posting this. The guitar definitely has a nice sound. Too bad Michael's not taking anymore pre-orders.

One of the features that attracted me to this guitar is the fact that it has a thicker Selmer style neck. It's disappointing to hear that the next batch will have a C shaped neck. I guess I'll have to continue my search for a new guitar.

-Aaron

My pleasure!

The M30 that I own does have a thick squared off neck...I wouldn't mind a modern feeling neck either. I've owned or played Selmer-style guitars from a bunch of makers, I couldn't really say which neck I prefer. Right now I have this Altamira with a thick square neck and a Hahl with a thin c-shape neck and I enjoy playing both. Strangely in the Selmer-style I think action and body dimensions (scale, bout width, etc..) play a bigger role in the comfort than the shape of the neck. If the Altamira guys are going for a Dupont shape they could do a lot worse :D If you're looking in this budget range the M30 is really good. Having owned a DG300 I would say that I enjoy the M30 much more.

Anyhow, just something to think about. Good luck with the search !

-Jason
  • Arturo AzcarragaArturo Azcarraga Lawrenceville, GA USANew
    How is the bass growl on these Altamira M30s?
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    The Altamiras have the best low end balance of any of the Asian made guitars. Most Chinese made Gypsy guitars are way too bass heavy and dark making them sound more like flatops. The Altamira bass is similar to that of French made guitars, clear and present but not overly dark or boomy.

Thanks,

M
    OK, I am still torn between the Altamira M30 and the M30D.
    Hypothetically speaking, let's say these two models, being equal in specs, playability, etc. it will come down to the difference in tone. I know that the choice is very personal, and each player can make the very same guitar sound different according to how they play.

I will be doing both rhythm and leads, and I am very much a TONE guy, I prefer a rounded, full tone, with a little more definition in the bass. So I am thinking/leaning towards the M30D.

Michael, have you noticed any difference in tone between the D hole and Oval hole? If so, how would you describe it?

Thanks,
    Arturo
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Hi Arturo,

Yes, there is a substantial difference in tone between an oval and D hole Gypsy guitar of any kind. D holes will have more mids and bass but less highs and will have a more "open" or reverby type sound. Oval holes are more focused in the high end and are drier and clearer with the fundamental pitch of each note being stronger. Also, D holes tend to act a bit like a monitor and direct more sound back to the player whereas an oval tends to direct the sound out to the listener.

Both are fine for both lead and rhythm. Generally it comes down to whether or not you want a more traditional sound or something a little more contemporary sounding. The D holes end up sounding a little more modern because of the thicker mids whereas the ovals are better for achieving a traditional Django type of sound.

I hope that helps,

M
    Michael, yes, that definitely helps.
    While I LOVE the traditional tone (and who doesn't?), I do want the mids and lows in my playing since I do want to try other types of music on this one (blues, folk, fingerstyle, etc.) as well as Gypsy swing.
    I believe I will go with the D hole Altamira.

Thanks,
    Arturo
    I went ahead and ordered the Altamira M30D with setup, fret level, and upgraded tuners. Anxiously awaiting its arrival. Thanks Michael for your help in selecting this model.
    Arturo