DjangoBooks.com

Finding a handmade gem in the low $2k range - is it possible

Comments

• HotTinRoofHotTinRoof Florida✭✭✭
    Kalebima - any updates? I see MH has the Alta Mira 30 on hold. Is that you?
  • KalebimaKalebima New
    Nope, it wasn't - one of the users here was kind enough to PM me regarding Selmer guitars he made, and the price was very reasonable. I'm currently looking into that and am looking forward to trying out a lot of different types of guitars at Django in June.
  • TooheyToohey New
    You can definitely find a nice guitar for 2 ish...and I wouldn't rule out Asian made guitars all together either...dg 300's, alta Mira, both pretty nice...but really if you can not be in a rush, just hold out for a used random good one...keep in mind that even from the same luthier, some are good and some are not...a used DuPont nomad or md 100 or something like that you might find for 2 ish...if you could bring it up to 3 ish there would be a lot more options for you...take your time and good luck,
    Toohey
  • dmin7thdmin7th ✭✭
    Toohey wrote:
    a used DuPont nomad or md 100 or something like that you might find for 2 ish...
    A brand new Nomade is $2100 right here at DjangoBooks, and I highly recommend it.
  • wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    Yes it is possible
    -J.B. Castelluccia
    -Godefroy Maruejouls
  • KalebimaKalebima New
    This guitar caught my attention, but although it's beautiful and I dig the archtop aspect I know it wouldn't be the best option for acoustic situations. With a jack of all trades you can never have the best of each side, I guess. That being said I would definitely snatch it up if I already had a proper petite bouche.
  • jscook777jscook777 ✭✭✭✭
    I just want to throw in my 2 cents...

The Altamira M30 I bought from Djangobooks is a really nice guitar. It plays well and is extremely loud. I'm not sure if you're set on purchasing a guitar from a private luthier or not but the M30 I have was obviously constructed by a very skilled luthier, I would definitely consider this a "handmade gem". If you're interested I wrote a little review on the product page in the store section.
  • KalebimaKalebima New
    This might be a solid contender. It seems like a really low price for such a nice guitar, if it's still there in a month or two I'll seriously think about picking it up.
  • Joli GadjoJoli Gadjo Cardiff, UK✭✭✭✭ Derecho, Bumgarner - VSOP, AJL
    What about Patenotte? I've seen quite a few around here in DC, and those are always great instruments.
    The latest 258, 259 or 260 usually go for around $1,600 new isn't it?
    I was actually just thinking selling my 260... if you're interested I can think about it more seriously.
    - JG
  • KalebimaKalebima New
    Good news, some stuff I've been trying to get rid of finally sold and my budget ceiling is now just about $2800. I think at this price I may be able to buy a really nice used handmade guitar - maybe a Shopis or Park might even be within my reach if I'm lucky? Time to start keeping an eye on the classifieds, and maybe I'll get lucky at Django in June!