DjangoBooks.com

Paul Paviot's short film on Django, 1958

andoatagnandoatagn Northampton, MAProdigy
edited February 2012 in Archtop Eddy's Corner Posts: 134
Anyone know how I can get me hands on the short film done by Paul Paviot (1958) on Django? I understand that somewhere around the turn of the millenium it became available in English (subtitled or overdubbed...) and that's the version I would need.

Thanks for any leads!
~Andrew

Comments

• Archtop EddyArchtop Eddy Manitou Springs, ColoradoModerator
    Hi Andrew. Looks like you're looking for a good historical film for Django in June. I remember seeing this film with English subtitles about ten years ago -- maybe longer. As I recall it was being presented in Denver by Paul Paviot himself and a family member who also served as a translator. At the time, they were saying they hoped to release it with the subtitles but were in the process of the working out the details. I don't recall ever seeing it released but hopefully someone else here will have more details. It would be an excellent clip for showing at Django in June!

(PS, I may have some of the details wrong, it was quite a while ago... I'll run the question by some other folks I know and see if I can garner up some other info)

AE
  • andoatagnandoatagn Northampton, MAProdigy
    Ed:
    I saw an old clip from a Denver post article in which I heard the same thing. It was part of an now-defunct Jazz on Film festival. I don't suppose you know the organizer?

Scot Wise has a good copy of the short film and if need be we can have it subtitled. He also has a lead on another short he thinks may be of interest. Since we'll have the Boyer's on hand I was thinking of showing their short film with Francis-Alfred Moerman and another short. Add live music and, presto, a wonderful night at the cinema.

Cheers,
    ~Andrew
  • Svanis1337Svanis1337 ✭✭✭
    Gentleman Manouche DVD disc 2 has an extremely high quality restored version of Paul Paviot's documentary.

Babik playing Manoir De Mes Rêves around age 17, Joseph, et.c. And very rare pictures of Django.

On the title screen you can see Django playing the blonde epiphone, but in EXTREMELY high quality. I wonder if there's any way of ever seeing that outside that title menu...

EDIT: IT'S IN THE DOCUMENTARY! And it doesn't fade out like the one we commonly see on Youtube! Wow!

No sound though. But this is great! I wonder why I never noticed that...
  • andoatagnandoatagn Northampton, MAProdigy
    Svanis...I assumed the Gentleman Manouche version was the original, with French commentary, yes?
  • Archtop EddyArchtop Eddy Manitou Springs, ColoradoModerator
    andoatagn wrote:
    Ed:
    I saw an old clip from a Denver post article in which I heard the same thing. It was part of an now-defunct Jazz on Film festival. I don't suppose you know the organizer?
    /quote]

Unfortunately, I don't remember the organizer but if I can find something, I'll let you know. Meanwhile, it's nice to see that my questionable memory and your research seem to be sharing a paralleling reality. :wink:
  • Svanis1337Svanis1337 ✭✭✭
    Yes, the original french version without subtitles.
  • Teddy DupontTeddy Dupont Deity
    Svanis1337 wrote:
    ..... but the quality is superb.
  • PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭
    Svanis1337 wrote:

Is this still available? Not finding it on a quick google search...
    -Paul

pas encore, j'erre toujours.
  • Teddy DupontTeddy Dupont Deity
    Is this still available? Not finding it on a quick google search...
    Yes it is but it looks like you can download it for free here: http://www.filestube.com/m/manouche+dvd.

That would take approximately 4 years with my current download speed!!
  • PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Teddy. Have to admit I'm an idiot when it comes to modern conventions - looks like "firstload.net" is a main provider - do you happen to know if this site, or the others listed, tend to be safe? Is this film in the public domain, then?

Cheers,

Paul
    -Paul

pas encore, j'erre toujours.