DjangoBooks.com

T-Ville Swing

Josh HeggJosh Hegg Tacoma, WAModerator
edited June 2006 in Archtop Eddy's Corner Posts: 622
T-Ville Swing is a group of friends in Tacoma that plays every other Sunday at a cafe. We record just for fun and this is one cut from a Sunday about 8 months ago.

Cheers,
Josh

Comments

• Josh HeggJosh Hegg Tacoma, WAModerator
    Can any of you hear this file? I'm not sure it's working....

Thanks
    Josh
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    Hi Josh,

It seems good; I'm listening to it right now...a trumpet or cornet just came in-nice addition!

Best,
    Jack.
    Okay cool... I guess it's my computer then.

Oh... Also for any that might be interested the guitar I'm playing is the Patenotte 256.

Thanks,
    Josh
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    Hey Josh,

In the spirit of cafe get-togethers, here's a recording from one of mine, just to see if you can hear it. The occasional hissing you may hear is an espresso machine, not the audience...I think.

Best,
    Jack.
    Sounds good man. I like the ending and the bass solo was a nice ad in. Good playing!

Cheers,
    Josh
  • B25GibB25Gib Bremerton WA✭✭✭✭ Holo Busato, Dell'Arte Hommage, Gitane D-500, Eastman AR805
    Josh -
    I really enjoyed talking with my old band members from a year ago listening to T-Ville Swing playing today (Sun.) at the Mandolin Cafe in Tacoma WA. I had a smile on my face the whole time. You have all improved and have a full sound. I think the forum would like to hear a new recording from today with your Dupont M50B and Unico amp - such as your rendition of Seul Ce Soir or even Bolero Blue! Your singing of "Do you know what it means to miss New Orleans" was very good! I was impressed and forgot to tell you.
    Thanks for the new bridge on my '04 Dell 'Arte Hommage. The volume and tone are much better and I had to play a little softer later today with my flute player. We played two new songs, "Roses of Picardy" and a Patrick Saussois composition perfect for flute "Riva Cantonetto".
    Glad I had the opportunity to play the new Geronimo Mateas 452 model. Very nice! If I didn't already have a very nice Stitka Spruce top Hommage I'd be buying it!
    JACK: Good work on Bossa Dorado!

Jam on!
    Rocky
  • DuozonaDuozona Phoenix, AZNew
    Rocky,

You caught my interest with the mention of your flutist, and then I saw you were in Bremerton. Can you tell me about what you do in terms of gypsy jazz styles with flute. I play GJ, and my wife plays flute, and we play as a duo, but the GJ doesnt connect the two. I would love any ideas you have.

Chuck
    Rocky,

Thanks for the kind words. I'll post another sound file after I have a chance to find a good one

Cheers,
    Josh
  • B25GibB25Gib Bremerton WA✭✭✭✭ Holo Busato, Dell'Arte Hommage, Gitane D-500, Eastman AR805
    .....Hi Chuck -
    Glad to hear that your mate is a musician! Flute players learn to play from the notes, so obviously it is easier to have the melody line or a lead sheet including chords for both of you rather than transcribing off the CD. Since you already play GJ style, your probably learning from the Robin Nolan books and/or the Mike Peters book, "Django Reinhardt Anthology" which has the notes and chords for 70 of his songs. It is a good resource and is only about $15. Also research the web links that Jack has posted some time back to get songs and melody lines. There are a number of mistakes in the notes in the Peters book which you will run into and change as your ear dictates. We have changed the pickup note timing on some Intros to make things more "rhythmic" before the guitar starts and added chord or scale notes where the melody may sit too long on one note (as in a full measure or measure and a half!
    Songs that work for us include:
    Anniversary Song, Anouman, Avalon, Besame Mucho, Black Orpheus, Caravan, Django's Castle, Heavy Artillery, Lentement Mademoiselle (Beautiful w/flute), Limehouse Blues, Nauges, Night and Day, Riva Cantonetto, Roaes of Picardy, Swing 42, Troublant Bolero, Under Paris Skies (waltz) and Wave.
    She plays guitar also and accompanies me on these songs which you can also play with flute:
    Blue Drag, Bossa Dorado, Equinox (John Coltrane/Bossa rhythm), Joseph Joseph, Minor Blues, Le Chemin Des Forains (waltz/translation: Stallkeeper's Way/Patrick Saussois), Sweet Chorus.
    A number of songs within these two groups are played with either a Bossa rhythm or either basic Bolero or the more difficult Django's Bolero. This is a change from the basic gypsy pump rhythm and provides another type of rhythm drive for a solo instrument. On Lentement Mademoiselle I hold the 2 and and 4 beats down slightly longer than Django's rhythm guitarist which seems to provide a fuller foundation with only two instruments. Fapy Lafertin holds chords down longer as well.
    I don't know where you are in terms of development in this GJ style, so that's why some of the basic resources where mentioned again. Hope my info helps you both!

Cheers, Rocky