DjangoBooks.com

Pick Guard

Does anyone know where to get the clear plastic material and how to apply it?

I'm starting to wear thru the finish on my new Gallato under the high E string near the bridge where my pinky drags on the top and I don't want to wait until it is into the wood.

Thanks

Comments

• lacrossehotclublacrossehotclub La Crosse WI✭✭✭ Dupont Nomade
    Self-adhesive clear mylar is available through Stew Mac

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Pickguards/Pickguard_materials/Clear_Pickguard_Materials.html?actn=100101&xst=3&xsr=131

Perhaps someone else can chime in with any tips on how to do a proper installation. Good luck with it!
  • Archtop EddyArchtop Eddy Manitou Springs, ColoradoModerator
    You might consider a "static-cling" type of removable pickguard. Then you can reposition it and not be concerned about screwing it up when you install it. Also, you mention that you're beginning to see some wear on the top. Installing a clear pickguard after you have little pits on the top may likely result in bubbles getting caught under the pickguard. This can look pretty ghastly. WIth the removable pickguard, you can always just try it again.

Anyway, here's what luthier Craig Bumgarner said about it back in May 2011:

You might want to consider a Rokkomann removable clear pickguard. There is no adhesive used, just a specially treated surface and air pressure. I have been using one for about week, works very well. Stays put, thick enough to protect and comes off very easily. The manufacturer recommends taking it off after each use and warns that long term contact may damage finish, but so far, that just seems like legal boilerplate.

I got it in order to test the often asked question of whether a pickguard affects tone. With a removable guard I could A/B with and w/o repeatedly. And yes, it does make a difference, but very slight. Not enough to make it worth wearing a hole in the top like Willy Nelson's guitar. (did I see a picture of this here recently or was it somewhere else? anyhow, if you are curious, google it, talk about well worn).

AE
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Thanks guys, I'll check out both of those.

edit- I think I'll try the removable just in case....
  • Craig BumgarnerCraig Bumgarner Drayden, MarylandVirtuoso Bumgarner S/N 001
    I continue to be pretty happy with the Rokkomann removable pickguards. I like its hard glossy surface and tough wearing quality. Another brand I used once wore through in a couple weeks!

Minor complaints and cautions include:
    • The 4" width is a little narrower than I would like, if you tend to scratch way out to the edge of the guitar, these may not work for you.
    • I've yet to find a perfect way to cut them to shape. Even a very sharp razor edge leaves a rough edge. I think this is because it is very hard to cut all the way through with one clean cut and going back over the first cut messes the edge up. Scissors work better, but you have to be careful when cutting not to twist the scissor or this will bend the plastic a little and it won't "stick" in that spot, leaving a little air bubble. In spite of being very careful, I still get these in the tight turns around the rosette.
    • Make a template first out of manila folder weight card board. You don't want to be recutting this stuff, it messes up the edge.
    • The guitar surface has to be perfectly clean of dust or you will get bubbles you can't work out with a credit card. I use a piece masking tape wrapped around my fingers, sticky side out to dab the surface to pick up dust. I still get a piece or two sometimes.
    • The Rokkomann is removable, but not really reusable, aesthetically at least. The "sticking" surface will pick up dirt and it is hard to clean, so you will get more bubble each time you reinstall it.

That said, the pluses outweigh the minuses. The ability to remove it at some point is such a good feature. They come off easily when you want, but never in use. I've had no difficulty in removing from French polish and phenolic varnish no matter how long they have been on. If you had doubts, you might try applying a little past wax first and rub it well before applying the pickguard. I don't think it would affect adhesion, though I haven't tried it.

To find them, just google Rokkomann guitar guard.
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Thanks for all the info!

I went on Amazon and they had some called 'Kling-on' that are removable.

Seem to work great and super easy to put on and take off.

But they do say not to leave them on nitrocelulos lacquer for too long and not to use on finishes any newer than 6 months old. I guess it could damage the finish if you just left it on there permanently.