DjangoBooks.com

Why do we never play (fill in song here)

Comments

• AmundLauritzenAmundLauritzen ✭✭✭✭
    anthon_74 wrote: »
    YES to Billet Doux. I've recently fell in love with that song. In terms of when day is done, it's a tricky one to do because you have to decide if you're going to start slow and speed up like Django did... Not to mention that the changes are pretty tricky in that one.

The tempo change is what makes those tunes IMO. Django played "Embraceable You" and "Clouds" like that as well. IMO really adds to the song, and if you play it in a concert it is a great way to break out of the predictable song structures.

There's also an interesting part played unison by guitar and violin after the solos on "Clouds".

Little things like that add so much when most tunes are just played straight through head and solo with no special arrangement or tempo change.
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    edited April 2014 Posts: 1,855
    Cool tune idea, I always loved this one back in the day when Stephen Fry and Hugh Laurie were the greatest Jeeves and Bertie EVAH... and they were equally wonderful in the immortal Blackadder series.

If you've only seen Hugh Laurie in the medical drama "House", you'll be amazed by his brilliance as a comedian.

Anyway… what this tune needs is some lyrics… ;-)

<i>Jeeves! Please prepare the tub!
    Jeeves! I’m headed for the club!
    Just one teeny dry martini
    I couldn’t really face a plate of grub </i>

<i>Jeeves! Please bring the Rolls around!
    Jeeves! My white tie can’t be found!
    And just one teeny dry martini
    And, I say, Jeeves, would you have twenty pounds?</i>
    Matt Mitchell
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    I really should be doing my taxes, but I've been having way more fun playing around with this wonderful tune, "Jeeves & Wooster".

I put together my own version in "Band in a Box" using Matt's lead sheet, but I changed a few of the chords. (Hopefully for the better, but you'll have to be the judge of that…)

Anyway I tried repeatedly to upload my MP3 version of my BIAB backing track, but for some reason it simply refused to upload, so if you are interested please PM and I'll email it to you.

Will
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
    Other songs we don't hear too often: Avalon, Bricktop, Clouds(not nuages! The other one), Chicago, I surrender dear, Just One of those things, My Blue Heaven, Ou es tu mon amour, Swing 39(Check out Djangos blazing 1947 version!), When day is done, You rascal you.
  • We play Swing 39, my fave of the swings
    AmundLauritzen
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • bopsterbopster St. Louis, MOProdigy Wide Sky PL-1, 1940? French mystery guitar, ‘37 L-4
    How about "Black and White"? Challenging changes, and really swings!
  • pickitjohnpickitjohn South Texas Corpus, San Antonio, AustinVirtuoso Patenotte 260
    "Sway with me"
    nice version by
    David Grisman, Frank Vignola, Robin Nolan
    The Living Room Sessions
    @MichaelHorowitz
    Still not able to attach MP3.
    ANY HELP

pick on
    pickitjohn :peace:
    I've never heard anybody play this one:

It's not typical jazz form, and it's kind of modal in the harmony(Django was miles ahead of Miles in that regard).
    But it has that peculiar charm to it that is so characteristic of Django.

I guess it's not a crowd pleaser, such tunes, but I really love the less typical jazz tunes that Django composed. They show different sides of his personality, influences from diverse sources.
    I think a number like that could really add a nice variety to a setlist.
    bopster
  • kevingcoxkevingcox Nova Scotia✭✭✭✭ Dupont MD50
    I have always thought that song sounds like a train rolling down the tracks, which I think must have been the intent.