DjangoBooks.com

Eddie Lang

judsonjudson New
edited March 2011 in Repertoire Posts: 25
I am seeking Eddie Lang transcriptions (see my longer post int he Welcome forum). Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

Comments

• jimvencejimvence Austin, TX✭✭
    judson wrote:
    I am seeking Eddie Lang transcriptions (see my longer post int he Welcome forum). Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

If interested, I transcribed his version of Rachmaninoff Prelude in Em many years ago.
  • judsonjudson New
    Many thanks - or in the words of your fellow Texan, Kinky Friedman, mucus gracious!

That is a truly beautiful piece of music. Listening to it, it sounds beyond my ability. But, looking at it... I can play that... awesome!
  • pinkgarypinkgary ✭✭✭
    Here's a powertab of Guitar Blues by Lonnie Johnson that features Eddie Lang. This is a good 'un to have a stab at... I LOVE this track, Lonnie & Eddie are on great form. The whole session is good, mind you.
  • judsonjudson New
    Many thanks!
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    Hey, I'm a Lang nut too.. do you have this sheet music folio?

Seven Original Compositions For The Guitar by the Great Eddie Lang: Transcribed and Arranged for Plectrum Guitar Solos with Guitar Accompaniment. Berend, Dave, Robbins Music, 1961.

Contents: April Kisses, Rainbow Dreams, Feelin' My Way, Pickin' My Way, and a couple of others I can't presently remember.

For twenty bucks I'll find it, photocopy the whole thing for you and mail it to you... contact me at the message centre with your name and address if interested.

I guess you know that Djangobooks.com sells a book of Eddie Lang arpeggios, also by the same author?

Will
    Niagara-On-The-Lake, ON
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • judsonjudson New
    Wow, thanks! Let me check down at the university library first - I'm still barely scratching the surface of their sheet music library.

That reminds me though, does anyone else really dig Nick Lucas? He was certainly among the best early jazz guitarists. He really grows on you.
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    I haven't really heard Nick Lucas, but somehow along the way I've also managed to acquire two or three (At least I think it's three...) volumes of his guitar instructional manual... the same offer about photocopying them also applies if you are interested.

Will
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • judsonjudson New
    That is great! I purchased both of the Eddie Lang e-books and the Nick Lucas from DjangoBooks. The second Lang book is taking me a while to get through - I'm also doing the Baker books and the Fisher books, as well as some repetoire books of Django and Merle Travis... and I just started Ranger Doug's new rhythm book! I've definitely bitten off more than I can chew, but I've gotten the lessons/chapters ridgidly scheduled by weeks so that I don't mess up. That said though, I can't handle another instruction book right now! I will probably take you up on it later.

Judson
  • judsonjudson New
    I found April Kisses, Feelin' My Way and Pickin' My Way here: http://www.eddielang.com/fgo.html

These are from the Dave Berend book - I haven't had a chance to check my university library yet, but this a great start
  • judsonjudson New
    As of now, it looks like we have:

Feelin' My Way
    Pickin' My Way
    April Kisses
    Handfull of Riffs
    In De Ruff
    Stringin' the Blues
    Rainbow's End
    Sunshine
    Rachmaninoff Prelude in Em
    Guitar Blues
    I'm Coming Virginia
    Singin' the Blues 'til My Daddy Comes Home
    Someday Sweetheart
    Three Blind Mice

Add to that Eddie's Twister (which a friend says he is working on) and we've got a great start. I'll probably post all of these on a blog that we can all access, or put them all in a .pdf file and we can pass it around like a real book.

I'm still looking for Wild Cat and WIld Dog. Here is why: YouTube - ‪Joe Venuti & Eddie Lang: Wild Cat‬‏