DjangoBooks.com

A single cable for Bigtone and Pro70

I'm currently using a dual source system with a bigtone in the bridge and an Audio Technica Pro70 condenser microphone mounted externally. I'm using two separate cables to connect to an AER Compact60 amp, but this seems a bit cumbersome. So I'm wondering if it would be possible to wire a single multicore cable to carry both signals, and have two connectors at either end. Maybe something with 4 cores and a shield; 1 core + shield for the piezo signal, and 3 cores for the microphone signal. Or simply, using the shield as a common ground for the two signals, if this is possible.

The Pro70 requires phantom power (9v-52v) which the microphone channel of the amp provides. Would this cause problems (e.g. crosstalk) when running a powered microphone signal along side a passive instrument signal?

Is it possible, or even advisable, to run two different impedanced signals through the same cable?

Comments

• pinkgarypinkgary ✭✭✭
    Good question... I have no answer, but would like to hear one...
  • Jeff MooreJeff Moore Minneapolis✭✭✭✭ Lebreton 2
    I think not. I'm not a electronic buff but I've tried combining signals from piezos (K&K) and the piezo just won't jive with other signals. I have heard that the impedance of piezos is the reason?
    Any small mixer will buffer (and combine) these signals though.

I'd like a good answer to your question though, as I've got nearly the exact same issues to overcome. So, far I've used a small Behringer mixer - $99. But I'd love to miniaturize and minimize my rig - sans mixer and wall wart. I use a K&K, a Pro 70, and a coil, that I'd like to mix - without the mixer!
    "We need a radical redistribution of wealth and power" MLK
  • crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole
    I think you'd be ok as the phantom power signal is a DC signal, therefore hum shouldn't be an issue and typically phantom power is provided on a balanced line with interference being cancelled out by the phase differences on the postive and earth lines leaving only the signal. Ialso suspect that the signal levels involved would limit crosstalk.

Like Jeff, I'm not an electronics buff but I have doen a bit of cable wiring for mics etc. I'm sure there'll be others on this forum who will give you a more accurate answer.

Alan
    always learning
  • jimbo78jimbo78 New
    Hi there,

A simple but not-so-elegant solution: shrink-wrap the two cables together...although you'd want to find something quite flexible: some wraps can be really stiff.

Jim
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    Jeff Moore wrote:
    But I'd love to miniaturize and minimize my rig - sans mixer and wall wart. I use a K&K, a Pro 70, and a coil, that I'd like to mix - without the mixer!
    It doesn't eliminate the "mixer," but you'd have a much smaller footprint with a Headway EDB1 preamp. It's quite compact, about the size of a Baggs Para DI but with much more function. You can blend two inputs, one of which can be XLR (or 1/4"), with phantom power available to the XLR input, plus loads of EQ, filtering, and mute switch. It runs off of two 9V batteries, eliminating the wall wart (although you can use a small AC unit instead).
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • StevearenoSteveareno ✭✭✭
    I have a little DOD passive trim pot mixer that has 4 inputs, with a trim pot and gain knob for each channel and one output. A little grey metal box. Don't know if they even still make it. You can mix the balance and feed them into the amp (into a single input). Works suprisingly well. Passive so you don't need batteries or power. Small and light. Only tried it with two instruments into one amp, but should try mixing my Schertler Basik with my Bigtone.
    Swang on,