DjangoBooks.com

dutch lick

dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
edited October 2005 in Licks and Patterns Posts: 2,161
michael has asked me to start a few threads... so let's get this started:

a typical dutch idea

from paulus schafer, on after you've gone from the "Into the Light" CD

After You've Gone

over A7 D7 G (2 bars each)...all 8th notes cept when phrase ends (ie on the C# of measure 2 ,

e-15-15-11-11----------------|----------------------|
b----------------12-12---------|--------12-15-14---|
g------------------------11s12-|----12---------------|
d--------------------------------|14-------------------|
a--------------------------------|----------------------|
e--------------------------------|----------------------|

e-15-12-----12-0-----10-0---|----8-0---7-0-------|---------------------------
b---------13-------12----------|10-----8-----7-10--|-8--------------------
g-------------------------------|----------------------|----
d-------------------------------|----------------------|----
a-------------------------------|----------------------|----
e-------------------------------|----------------------|-----

i'm too lazy to use powertab and make pics out of em.... anyone have any good suggestions?

anyway, the A7 should be preceded with an anticipation such as

12h14p12 11 12 ... first 3 notes being triplets therefore starting on the 3rd beat

Comments

• JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    Dennis,

Thanks for forging ahead with this; you've already given us a huge start. As for the suggestions: You've already made up so many Django tabs, why not cherry-pick some of the classic patterns from his solos, and post them as images here? It might help people unable (or unwilling) to learn whole solos, and you've already done most of the work, it seems...

One other thing I'd be interested in is phrases in 3/4; so much of the valse rep seems to be treated as canon that 'licks' don't seem as prevalent. In the meantime, I'm looking forward to November!

All best,
    Jack.
    Another idea:

Would it make sense to have threads like "Diminished Phrases", "Dutch Phrases", "Turnaround Phrases", "Intro Phrases", "Ending Phrases", etc., so that a year from now a new member could find all the relevant patterns in one thread? So often on the forums the same question gets asked every four or five months, even though the answer is out there in the archives. Obviously, there'll be some spillover, but it might make things simpler in the long run. Especially for you, Dennis!

Best,
    Jack.
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    hehe although i moderate the forum, it doesn't mean i'm the only one posting licks.... michael just asked me to post a few ...

i can turn all my threads into stickies too so that they don't disappear....
    dennis wrote:
    hehe although i moderate the forum, it doesn't mean i'm the only one posting licks.... michael just asked me to post a few ...

Still, when day is done-don't blush-you're generally the ace transcriber among us for licks, and I can't help but think over time your posts will stand out. It might be a good idea to gather them together when they can be used in similar context. Either way, you've already started an avalanche in just the last hour-nice work, my friend.

Best,
    Jack.