edited September 2010 in Technique Posts: 6
Hello,
I'm a beginner and I've learnt that I should play Dm like this:
dmorig.gif

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Now I've started with a gypsybook and Dm suddenly looks like this:
44846834.gif

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I don't understand the last one, what does the V mean or the black stripe? Can anybody explain me where I should put my fingers? It's probably really simple but i just don't get it

Comments

• Craig BumgarnerCraig Bumgarner Drayden, MarylandVirtuoso Bumgarner S/N 001
    The V is the roman numeral for 5, indicating the fifth fret and the line means "bar" all the frets, in this case with your first finger.

CB
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    edited September 2010 Posts: 1,855
    Amiga, sounds like you may need a few lessons with a qualified teacher to get started.

[Sorry, Craig! I've just re-edited this post because I carelessly and mistakenly thought it was you who had posed the original question--- sorry!]

Both of the fingerings you sent for a D minor chord are correct, but perhaps you don't yet know that there are many different places on the fingerboard where you can play any given chord on the guitar.

These are known as "chord inversions", and a good instructor can help you understand more about how they work.

Will
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • blindjimmyblindjimmy phoenix,az✭✭✭✭
    Hey Amiga, wait till you see how the m7b5 chord shape is used for minor chords !
    shut up and play your guitar
  • djangologydjangology Portland, OregonModerator
    Not that this is the best link in the world but at least it may jump start you a little:

http://www.oreshko.co.uk/questions.htm
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    A few basic things to note about gypsy chords ...

In general you want to avoid open strings, such as the 4th string in your 1st example. You don't want strings ringing on - what you are looking for in gypsy rhythm is a very quick and dry effect, with the sound being choked off after you hit the chord. This requires that you fret all the strings being played and damp off the ones not being used. There are all sorts of chord shapes involving anywhere from three to six notes that will give you the desired effect.

You won't be using straight major and minor chords so much in GJ. Jazz players commonly use maj7 and min7; gypsy players tend to mostly use 6 and min6.

Most people don't use bar (or barre) chords much in GJ. Some feel that you can't make changes as quickly with barre chords, although other people may disagree. Some of the common gypsy chords may be difficult to produce with a barre, so you're probably better off learning the other shapes instead.

Finally, there are multiple voicings for any chord. Learn more than one shape for any given chord to give your playing some variety.

If you really want to learn gypsy rhythm playing, the definitive book is Michael Horowitz's Gypsy Rhythm. It includes loads of chord shapes, but more importantly teaches the proper technique. Denis Chang's DVD The Art of Accompaniment is another excellent resource.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles