DjangoBooks.com

Mathieu's cool passing chords

I've always loved Mathieu's transitions and passing chords - so understated - so incredibly chunky. He hits them on the lead-in to the following note and it gives this swing and momentum. Done in context with that very unadorned pompe style of his - it builds such a solid platorm for the soloist. Finally a video surfaces where I can see clearly what he's doing. So - aspiring rhythm players take a good look. From left to right it's Mathieu Chatelain, Romane & Angelo Debarre doing Anniversary Song.

So, if you're a rhythm player and wondering how to get more gigs... this is something to take to heart... put away your bag of fancy distracting tricks... expand your repertoire, learn to pompe with a big rich tone... be solid & swinging... learn how to build momentum for your soloists by finding ways to highlight their work without distracting from it. And... always... and I mean always... keep your head in the game and keep the best interest of the soloist in mind. If you do that, you'll be the most sought-after rhythm guitarist in your town, because all the good lead players will say: "Man, there is no one I'd rather have on stage with me but that guy - he sounds like a freight train - he makes me sound great - and everything he does from the moment he unlatches his guitar case until the final applause is focused on helping me play a good show."

You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.

Comments

• CalebFSUCalebFSU Tallahassee, FLModerator Made in USA Dell Arte Hommage
    Bob- great video! I agree man Mathieu is really just awesome.
    Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn't work hard.
  • djangologydjangology Portland, OregonModerator
    I wish we played that song more around Portland. Thank you YouTube!
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    Mathieu is great! Plus he'll lend you his pick if you're in need
  • PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭
    Just fantastic; thanks for the clip, Bob, and for the thoughts as well. A great statement of purpose, that as a new player I, too, want to hang my hat on in terms of mastering rhythm and its role in GJ.
    -Paul

pas encore, j'erre toujours.