DjangoBooks.com

Plectrum vs. Fingerstyle

KurtKurt New
edited June 2005 in Unaccompanied Django Posts: 6
Michael,

Great Book! It's not only given me an even greater appreciation of Django's music/playing style, but it is challenging me and taking my overall playing skills to a higher level. "Naguine", at first, was physically painful to play when I first started, but as I stuck with it, I noticed the strength and coordination in my left hand increased to a point where everything I play sounds better now!

I look forward to tackling "Improvisation#2" and "Tears" as I'm primarily a fingerstyle player, though at some point I probably will start using the plectrum in addition to fingerstyle.

In the intro to your book, you mention that even the plectrum played songs sound great played fingerstyle. My question:

Of all the plectrum played songs in the book, are there any that lend themselves to fingerstyle better than the rest? Any tips/advice/tricks for playing them fingerstyle?

Thanks,
Kurt

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Hi Kurt,

Most of the pieces in the book will work when played fingerstyle. Many times I've been without a pick and just spontaneously started playing some of them with my fingers without any big problems.

Probably the best ones to start with would be Nuages and Echoes of Spain. Neither has any real blazing runs and should work well with fingers. You might also try Improv. #3, both parts, and Improv' #5. They'll be a bit harder because of the fast runs. But I think anyone with solid fingertsyle technique could do it. Improv'#1 would be the hardest because of the tremolos and the super fast runs.

Glad you like the book!

-Michael