DjangoBooks.com

clips from wawau's new dvd

dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
edited November 2008 in CD, DVD, and Concert Reviews Posts: 2,159

Comments

• pdaiglepdaigle Montreal, QCNew
    That looks awesome! I will definitely pick it up, especially after seeing Wawau playing live last weekend: he is truly a world class player in this style.

Did you guys target a date for release yet?
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
  • simplygoodmusicsimplygoodmusic Rome, ItalyNew
    Will there be subtitles?
    as always, every DVD that hyperhipmedia makes will be subtitled in english AND french
  • aa New York City✭✭✭✭
    looks great!

so, does the video comprise of him mostly showing these phrases? does he show how to generate phrases?
    Www.alexsimonmusic.com
    Learn how to play Gypsy guitar:
    http://alexsimonmusic.com/learn-gypsy-jazz-guitar/
    no, he doesn't show how to generate phrases.. most gypsies don't know what they're playing. Wawau is no exception, i had to coach him.

for anything related to theory or generating phrases, i've already done five dvds that cover that. there are tons of jazz theory books out there , romane has a book that talks about arpeggios and scales and whatnot, so does stephane wrembel...

i'm starting to get worried that people are expecting more from wawau (and other artists i'll be working with in the near future) than he can give.

it already took a lot of effort from me to get a lot of this stuff slowed down for you guys. I literally had to teach wawau what he was playing at a slower tempo, and i had to show him what picking technique he was using because he honestly didn't know..

on a particular picking technique he uses, he tried to slow it down, and picked it differently, i had to tell him that when he played fast, he was doing something else (btw this is a technique covered in my DVD)... he couldn't do it at a slow tempo, so i had to coach him through it

I remember a particular moment at DFNW during stochelo's workshop, when a gentleman asked him how stochelo approached triads in his soloing ....

stochelo just stared at the man with a complete blank face... :lol::lol:

i think i'll add a little foreword to the DVD explaining what the "In the style of" series is all about.

once again, if you guys are looking for tips on HOW to play gypsy jazz, i've done the 5 DVDs thing that is all about that.. stephane wrembel has a book that covers that as well, so does romane... michael horowitz has one on the picking aspect and the rhythm aspect...

i'm not going to make wawau and the future artists do the same thing!

if you're looking for a source of inspiration./motivation, if you're looking to understand someone's particular style (without theoretical explanations), then this DVD is for you.

With the "in the style of series", I want to recreate as much as possible the environment that most of these musicians grew up in; so it's really about monkey see/monkey do, and a lot of osmosis!

if you' re looking for a DVD that TEACHES you how to play the style, get something else.

That said, Wawau gives a lot of useful and EXTREMELY important advice on rhythm playing AND lead playing.. These tips are of use to players of all levels ; especially beginners!!

btw in the DVD there are two live students, so there's a coaching sesssion going on. One is a rhythm player, and the other plays lead, and wawau gives them useful advice!
  • steven_eiresteven_eire Wicklow✭✭✭✭ Dupont MD50
    that's cool. there's already a ton of beginner tutorials.

it will be great to have a series of dvds that get right to the good stuff. i will definitely be getting this and the stochelo dvd when that comes out.
  • fraterfrater Prodigy
    Django, Bireli, Stochelo, Wawau... we're talking the very best guitarist in this style and none of them can read music. I wonder if this can be considered a mere coincidence... Maybe we should try to forget a bit of what we know (in my case, that would be quite simple, because I don't know shit! :D )
  • fraterfrater Prodigy
    Django, Bireli, Stochelo, Wawau... we're talking the very best guitarist in this style and none of them can read music. I wonder if this can be considered a mere coincidence... Maybe we should try to forget a bit of what we know (in my case, that would be quite simple, because I don't know shit! :D )
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    dennis wrote:
    i'm starting to get worried that people are expecting more from wawau (and other artists i'll be working with in the near future) than he can give.
    Don't worry. It's gonna be amazing to have a video tutorial to learn like the gypsies do. For those of us who aren't lucky enough to live around these guys this is priceless.

BTW If you need spanish subtitles I'd be happy to do that job for you.
    Say hi to Ivan and Romain.