DjangoBooks.com

New member from Finland

MikkoMikko FinlandNew
edited August 2008 in Welcome Posts: 14
Hi!

My name is Mikko and I'm from Finland. Here is two samples of my playing. First there is a little solo I played to the chords I made for practicing. Second is Django's Waltz. So far I have these two samples in Youtube. There's no videos but images of my homecountry replaces videos. Youtube username is juhan81.

Comments

• ManoucheriesManoucheries Europe:Romania✭✭✭
    Hello Mikko,

Good to see you on Djangobooks forum...I have my new guitar ( Manouche Guitar Modelle Jazz Hand Crafted Prototype ) from about 2 days ago...now I'm getting used to it, with the higher action...I'll post something soon playing my new gypsy guitar. :D

I know you said you're using a cheap computer mic...but what recording software are you using (...I like the reverb from you're first clip on youtube)...

All the best
  • MikkoMikko FinlandNew
    Hi, Manoucheries!

The sofware was old too, it was Sonic Foundry Acid Pro 3.0. I'm very lazy in renewing my computer setup. The reverb was Sonic Foundry reverb. I can't remember the settings but there was a lot of adjusting involved before getting pleasant level.
  • MikkoMikko FinlandNew
    Congratulations about the guitar!

My Manouche has high string action too. First I was struggling a lot with it. I actually got traumas to my hands because I wasn't used to high action and didn't use proper warming and stretching. I did see a physiotherapist and got treatment to get over it. Now everything is good. Remember to take it slow. When there is new instrument, different technique and sudden increase of stress there is risk of getting handicaps.

But, because of the high action I'm very satisfied to sound of the guitar.
  • ManoucheriesManoucheries Europe:Romania✭✭✭
    Some time ago I was used to high action....I've had an acoustic guitar with 4mm action at 12th fret...but in the last 11 months I've been playing an archtop with low action ( 1.4mm on the treble side and 1.6mm on the bass side ) I've lowerd the action from 4.5mm to 3mm and now it's perfect...nice tone, good volume...I can do some small modifications on the bridge because I plan to instal a bigtone pickup( but I'm not sure yet maybe I'll have a schatten pickup ) and maybe combine the pichup with a condenser mic...But for now I'll try to get used with the neck...Everytime I play the guitar It get's even better...and I'm falling in love with her :lol: ...maybe if u have time you can tell me what effects did you use for thaty recordind and maybe some parameters (I've downloaded the ACID Pro 6.0 )...and maybe the exact name of your mic...Keep in touch...

Alex
  • MikkoMikko FinlandNew
    Hi Alex!

Well, the mic really was the cheapest one. It's made in Finland and costs 3,5 EUR. Name of it was Microone. When I save some project with the Acid Pro and afterwards open it those effects are vanished. You can hear them on the track but you cannot adjust them anymore. I don't know is it because of the demo version or am I just so stupid with these machines(I bet the last one :) ) Anyway, I used graphiq EQ in the Django's Waltz to emphasize bottom, Sonic Foundry reverb I quess there was Bright Corridor mode and 16 ms pan right. I can't remember other parameters. Then there was some simple panning and level adjustments. It's same to me what equipment I use I try to rely on my ears.

All the best
  • emicademicad Rome - ItalyModerator
    nice playing mikko, welcome aboard =)
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    Nice playing Mikko!