DjangoBooks.com

Dorado Schmitt's Guitar and Stochelo Rosenberg's Guitar

Hi, Sorry if this is answered elsewhere. I have two questions.

What guitar does Dorado Schmitt play when he performs Dinah on the Bireli Lagrene and Friends DVD Live Jazz a Vienne?

What guitar does Stochelo Rosenberg play when he performs For Sephora on the DVD Live at Théatre Antique De Vienne, France 2000.

Thanks for any information that you might have.

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    I'm pretty sure Dorado is using his Busato on the DVD.

My guess is that Stochelo is using either his Selmer or his Eimers. I'll have to take a look to know for sure.

Can anyone confirm this??

'm
  • Dr. BullDr. Bull New
    Thanks Michael! I think I see the Busato Bulge around 1 hour 13 minutes and 12 seconds. I really like the way he sounds on the tune. Marvelous!
    Other threads have suggested that Dorado's guitar in the DVD was a Castellucia. Does anyone know for sure?
  • Bob HoloBob Holo Moderator
    Dorado's D hole is indeed a Castellucia. I spent some time with a player who studied with the Schmitts and almost bought that guitar from Dorado but the neck didn't quite fit him. Great guitar, isn't it? It is a Busato style guitar - or sounds like it.
    You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.
    Bob Holo wrote:
    Dorado's D hole is indeed a Castellucia.

Cool...thanks for the info!
  • Dr. BullDr. Bull New
    Dorado's D hole is indeed a Castellucia. I spent some time with a player who studied with the Schmitts and almost bought that guitar from Dorado but the neck didn't quite fit him. Great guitar, isn't it? It is a Busato style guitar - or sounds like it.

Thank you for the information. It is very much appreciated. Michael put up a great clip of Dorado and the same guitar (I think) here:

http://www.djangobooks.com/archives/200 ... tml#000545

I am curious how much of the great sound he gets has to do with the pickup/miking versus the native sound of the instrument and his considerable talent. By that I mean at times it almost sounds like he is playing through an effects box although he is not (witness on the Live Jazz a Vienne DVD near the beginning of his solo during Dinah at about 1 hour 10 minutes 9 seconds). He gets a great sound out of that guitar.

BTW, I just came across the recording you made of your Busato. It is a nice sounding instrument.

Best,
    Dr. Bull wrote:
    I am curious how much of the great sound he gets has to do with the pickup/miking versus the native sound of the instrument and his considerable talent.

Hard to say...but I do think that guitar has the qualities I hear in most of the older, aged instruments (Busato, Selmer, Favino, etc.). Very dry, mature high end, defined low end. Most of the old ones have those qualities to varying degrees. The Dupont Vieille Reserve is the only new guitar I've found that also has those attributes. Generally the newer guitars don't have the mature high end, dryness etc. But they sometimes have other qualities which are also nice....like the Hahl's which are just so "lush" sounding. Really gorgeous, warm, rounded sound...the old ones never sound like that.

'm
  • ChrisMartinChrisMartin Shellharbour NSW Australia✭✭ Di Mauro x2, Petrarca, Genovesi, Burns, Kremona Zornitsa & Paul Beuscher resonator.

Still hoping somebody might know what Dorado used to amplify his Castelluccia on the Jazz at Vienne DVD;... anyone?