DjangoBooks.com

Which book to start with?

edited January 2009 in Gypsy Jazz 101 Posts: 7
Hello. I'm trying to find a good instructional book that can show the chords heads and solos to a few of the more popular Django tunes. Maybe something with a cd that has a backing track to practice to, or the actual Django tune.

Pearl Django looks like it might work, but does it include solo work? Hal Leanord offers The Best of Django Reinhardt. But is it accurate? I know there's much about the fingerings and pick stroke direction and that's a big part of the sound. It's nice to have that instruction as well. TIA.

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Hi...if you want all that info you'll need several books. A play-along book, some technique books, and a song book.

The best sellers for these are:

Complete
    Django: The Ultimate Djangos Book

Gypsy
    Picking

Gypsy
    Rhythm, Volume 1

Pearl
    Django Play-Along Songbook Vol.1

Have fun!

-Michael
  • spatzospatzo Virtuoso
    Try the Holly Bible and your music will be pure heaven! :arrow:
  • emicademicad Rome - ItalyModerator
    spatzo wrote:
    Try the Holly Bible and your music will be pure heaven! :arrow:
    gypsy picking is definitely THE bible =)
    Thank you guys. I'm checking into those. Man that's a lot of stuff! Does Gypsy Picking get very advanced with maybe playing over chord changes or is it more of strictly an excercise/lick book? Gypsy Fire seems to be really intriguing to me right now.

I have a good basic understanding of the right hand bounce, rest stroke on downs and lots of sweep styles and incorporate a lot of that into my playing for years, but I come from a blues and rock and a bit of jazz, background. I'm really looking for something that will help with the Gypsy feel and a few tunes that I can work on with some of my students. That's why I wanted some play a long stuff. Thank you for your kind help!
  • spatzospatzo Virtuoso
    Well as the question ask for books so was the answer but maybe you could have a look to Denis Chang DVD on Pompe Rhythm and on improvisation do you really need something else.

A book is cheaper but will give you less than these DVD : you will have an explanation for everything you need and an immediate feedback a book will never give you and last but not least it is full of hot licks ...

Best
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    buddastrat wrote:
    Thank you guys. I'm checking into those. Man that's a lot of stuff! Does Gypsy Picking get very advanced with maybe playing over chord changes or is it more of strictly an excercise/lick book?

The book contains 30 of the most used patterns by Django, Bireli, Stochelo, etc...including the traditional fingerings and picking. So you'll get a lot of vocabulary from the book. But the main focus is on the right hand technique, which is very, very important.

The Gypsy fire book just continues on with more patterns....

'm
    Thank you Michael. I just saw Easy Django and it has chords, play along cd etc. Is this a good one? Sounds like everything I want in one book to get started.

I think I will be getting either Gypsy Fire or Gypsy Picking for some further insight into the phrasing.
  • bonzabonza New
    dosta inga :D