DjangoBooks.com

Review of Samois 2008

EmmettRayEmmettRay Honolulu, Hawaii✭✭✭✭ Koa Iseman, AJL XO-503, Holo Busato
edited June 2008 in CD, DVD, and Concert Reviews Posts: 89
Well, my first trip out to Samois Sur Siene was incredible. Anyone who is on this forum and loves this music should definitely try and get out there! You will LOVE it! I plan on going every year from here on...

The weather was perfect, pitched at tent right on the river next to the swans, stayed 2 nights and saw Bireli the 1st. He has reclaimed his throne as the king of gypsy swing as far as I'm concerned. The jams at the guitar vendor tents were unbelievable, watching the next little Jimmy Rosenbergs play together was fantastic. These little kids blow away most adult guitar players I know here in the US. I got the film to prove it!

Not being an easy place to find I figured I'd meet up with my buddy Denis Chang at CDG airport, we took 3 trains and 1 bus to get to the Samoreau campsite, which is where most of the partying/jamming takes place. As I was checking in, one of my gypsy heros happened to be pulling up in some fancy car. Turned out to be Mr. Stochelo Rosenberg. I bumped into him a few times while hanging at Samoreau, which is about a 45 min walk to the Festival (some people don't even bother to go and just hang at the campsite and jam till the sun comes up) Imagine being surrounded by amazing guitar players all jamming jazz, all day, all night, all morning. A dream come true.

Next year I hope to meet up with some people who are going and rent a car since everything is pretty spread out there and it took me about 5-6 hrs to get back to Paris due to the trains being on strike...

I'm putting together a little youtube video that you all can check out later...