DjangoBooks.com

Describe the sound of the Gitane D-500

I own a 2005 DG-300, and have just purchased a used 2007 Cigano GJ-10 (just because it was too cheap and cool to pass up). Frankly, I love them both in different ways.

So........, I am curious what the D-500 brings to the table tonally. How does it compare to the two previously mentioned guitars. Is it different enough to warrant buying one sight unseen? Am I likely to be pleasantly surprised, or let down.

Thanks for any opinions.

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    The D-500 is a shorter scale (25 1/4") then the other two you mentioned. Very different feel and sound...a lot more low end and mids. Bigger chords but mellower leads...mostly commonly used as a rhythm guitar.

Instead of buying another Saga you may consider unloading the two you have and trading up to a handmade instrument like the Dell arte Hommage or a Dupont. That would be the next step IMO.
  • asd123321asd123321 ✭✭✭✭
    It has such a booming bass and not much tone up top, it seems wrong for this style, but of course some like it.
  • Jeff MooreJeff Moore Minneapolis✭✭✭✭ Lebreton 2
    Good tone, bad tone, lots of tone.

The d-500 has a lot of volume if a little unbalanced towards the low end. As is often pointed out, it isn't getting "the" sound, but lots of whatever it has and I like it. Short scale (as Michael mentioned, and a quite wide (classical dimension) fingerboard too.
    Any guitar that's loud also has lots of some sort of tone. I play several styles, and I use the 500 as well as a Dupont just to get a different sound.
    If your a straight out gj player and long for "the" sound, its not gonna be what you want. But if your looking for a single guitar very capable of many styles and at a bargain price, it'll work. It sounds closer to Django than most other steel string guitars, but certainly has its own voice. I think they're underrated. I'd like to try the Cigano equivalent one day. Many folks say their better than the 500.
    "We need a radical redistribution of wealth and power" MLK