DjangoBooks.com

guitar bass duo's

edited November 2007 in History Posts: 11
Hi all
I am hoping someone can tell me about Guitar bass duo's in the GJ genre?
I would like to acquire whatever recordings may be available?
I know a few of you have worked with this?
I would be interested in whatever anyone who wishes would like to say on this subject!
Thanks
Tony Hughes 8)

Comments

• scotscot Virtuoso
    The best-known guitar/bass duo is probably Hans'che Weiss guitar and Vali Mayer bass. They made several first-rate CDs - "Just Play" and "The Duo Live",plus "Erinnerungen" with the great (and left-handed) Martin Weiss on fiddle. These discs are primarily electric guitar and plenty of jazz standards, and the playing is superb. Maybe it's not exactly "gypsy jazz", though, and I don't know if these are still available.

Best
    Scot
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    Hey guys,

I'm trying to start something where I'll be the only guitarist, and while I'm no Hans'che, this stuff is right up my alley right now. Can anyone tell me if the Duo Live disc is out there somewhere for purchase? My H.Weiss collection is pretty spare outside of the MDZ era stuff. It looks like it might be available here (along with Just Play II), but I'm not sure:
    http://salko-promotion.com/cds.html

I should have paid more attention in high school German!

thanks,
    Jack.
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    i've seen tim robinson (thrip here) from london play duet gigs with a bassist, he's great, he s got all th e django stuff down but he also has a lot of bebop in his playing too... it was really impressive... but why look into GJ , when you have for example Joe Pass and NHOP?
  • Hi Dennis
    Good to hear from you!
    I am just curious to hear more of django's tunes done in this format!
    I believe Renier Voegt and i believe Stuart Bladgen have done guitar bass duo's with Django compositions.
    There doesn't seem to be much but i am curiuos to hear what others have done. Esp in terms of tune selections and how they approached the arrangement. Perhaps Martin Taylor also?
    I of course have listened to Joe Pass with NHOP for years.
    I am intersted in how a GJ player would fill out the duo harmonically!
    A guitar bass duo can seem dry without a second guitar depending on how a player balances single notes with chords.
    I am just interested in hearing some recorded examples as to how Django stylized players might hear it.
    It hard to find good rhythm players they tend to get in the way!
    If you can reference me to some tracks on recordings i would aprreaciate it
    Best Regards to you!
    Tony Hughes
  • Thank to all who responded!
    I will obtain the Cd's mentioned!
    Ciao
    Tony Hughes
  • SorefSoref Brookline, MA✭✭✭✭
    Hey this is pretty spare, but you can hear Django Improvise with just accompaniment from a bass player on his recording of 'You Rascal You'.

You can hear Moreno do the same on 'Je Seul ce Soir' on his Album
    Moreno Bolero.

Playing without a rhythm guitarist doesn't seem to really alter their playing styles much at all. Django still does his rich mixture of single notes, octaves and Chordal playing.

Moreno's soloing is essentially the same too. Lots of his speedy arpeggios and chromatic runs.

I played my first gig without a rhythm guitarist lately, it's kind of a fun challenge. It's something I'd considered but hadn't had much of a chance to do previously. It seems like something that would be fun to explore. That being said, I love playing with other guitarists, and it seems easier for me to get into a hot space dynamically with a rhythm guitarist
    chunking away.

-regards,
    Jack