DjangoBooks.com

What is This Thing Called Love? Tune of the Month, October '

JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
edited February 2014 in Repertoire Posts: 1,752
By popular request (well, one request) we're taking a look at [i]What is This Thing...[/i] this month. And away we go...

A) Harmony: Chords, Chord Shapes, Substitutions

Some chord shapes:

Gm7b5
-----
--2---
--3---
--3---
-----
--3---

C7/b9
--3---
--2---
--3---
--2---
--3---
-(3)--

Fm6
-3----
-3----
-1----
-3----
-3----
-1----

Dm7b5
-----
-6----
-5----
-6----
-5----
-----

G7
-----
-3----
-4---
-3----
-----
-3----

C6/9
-----
-3----
-2----
-2----
-3----
-3----

Cm7
-8----
-8----
-8----
-8----
-----
-8----

F9
-8----
-8----
-8----
-7----
-8----
-8----

Bb6/9
-8----
-8----
-7----
-8-----
-8-----
-6-----

Some fairly common subs:
-C#9 instead of the Dm7b5
-Using higher voicings for the first few bars. Gm7b5 at the 10th fret, C7 at the 8th, Fm at the 8th.

B) The Head

This should also be available in any fake book you have around the house.

C)Intro Ideas
Not exactly an intro, but an effective device nonetheless is a pared down version of the one used on the [url=https://shoppingcart.djangobooks.com/item--Bireli-Lagrene-DVD-Zone-1-Live-Jazz-a-Vienne--bireli_dvd_new.html]Bireli [i]Live in Vienne[/i] DVD.[/url] Using just a C octave for the first 16 bars leaves a lot of room for the melody (a sparse and sorrowful thing) to set the mood. (My band tends to play it considerably slower than the version below to really emphasize the melody.)

Another idea is to use some simple chord melody to introduce the tune:

-6---3-----------------6---4--------------------------------------
-5---2-----------------5---3--------------------------------------
-6---3-----------------6---5--------------------------------------
-5---2-----------------5---3---------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------

-4-4-3-3-------------3-3--------------------
-3-3-3-3-------------4-5--------------------
-5-5-5-5-------------3-3---------------------
-3-3-3-3-------------5-5---------------------
------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------
Ritary sometimes does something similar on the head.

I'd really be interested to hear people's ideas about soloing over this; the frequent m7b5 chords seem to be a stumbling block for many players. In the meantime, I'll see if I can dig up some good video to add.
That's it for now!

Best,
Jack.

Comments

Soloing ideas over m7b5 chords:

-for a Gm7b5, you have the notes G, Bb, Db, and F. That's basically a Bbm6 chord so I use Bb dorian ideas over m7b5 chords.

-this can be applied to any other m7b5 chord. Just build a dorian/m6 arpeggio off of the m3 of the m7b5 chord.

-Another idea might be to use a diminished arpeggio straight through both the iim7b5 chord and the V7b9 chords.

-I'd also recommend listening to Django's 1950s solo on this tune. A lot of his solo is based off of 4 bar phrases so you'll end up with plenty of ii-V ideas once you learn it.

-It's become standard practice to play the head of "Hot House (Tadd Dameron)" for the head out. Modern jazzers might play the head straight up from that tune but the Gipsies modify it by changing the melody into an AABA form.
  • pallopennapallopenna Rhode IslandNew
    The bebop version of this is Dizzy's "Hot House." There are some great licks to be had by studying solos by Dizzy and Bird.

-Paul
    Reject the null hypothesis.
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    Since there seems to be an interest in the Hot House history, I thought I'd post a Real Book version of it:
    And here's another RB version of What is This Thing...
    And for you lonely fellows out there, here's Jane Birkin's version:

Ouch!
    Jack.
  • aa New York City✭✭✭✭
    i'll take that over any debarre or rosenberg version any day.
    Www.alexsimonmusic.com
    Learn how to play Gypsy guitar:
    http://alexsimonmusic.com/learn-gypsy-jazz-guitar/
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    Capilano Gypsy wrote
    -for a Gm7b5, you have the notes G, Bb, Db, and F. That's basically a Bbm6 chord so I use Bb dorian ideas over m7b5 chords.
    Personally I think in terms of G locrian, although it has the same notes as Bb dorian or Eb mixolidian,etc. Also sometimes I like better the sound of the Locrian natural 2 over halfdiminished chords.
    Other options: G diminished triad, G minorb5 pentatonic, Bbm triad, Db triad (gives you the natural 2), Db diminished triad (b2), any minor II-V-I lick, F harmonic minor also works and of course the G-7b5 arpeggio(or Bb-6), which sounds great followed by a Gdim7 arpeggio over the C7b9 just change one note (F to E).
    For the Dminb5-G7-Cmaj7 you can quote Night and day!
    A lot of the players in Paris I`ve heard take a much more bop oriented aproach to this tune than Django ever did, there`s a great Grant Green version of this tune that some of those players seemed to be digging out of.
    Anyway great pick for the tune of the month and very nice work Jack!