DjangoBooks.com

Minor Swing

edited August 2006 in Gypsy Picking Posts: 145
Hi guys, I'd like to know what you think of my soloing capabilities on Minor Swing so far...

It's all stuff I've learned from Michael, whether it was from his online lessons or any of his books. I'm looking to get past stage of just sounding like licks.

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Nice job! You're playing good rhythm and have some nice soloing ideas. Your tone sounds good too.

I think you should work a little more on your timing...when you're soloing you were a little off sometimes. Like at one point you played a cool syncopated lick but it wasn't dead on so it sounded a bit weak. Get out the metronome and work on getting your time really solid.

Good luck!

'm
    Yes, I've noticed my timing is off in some parts. It's odd because I practice with a metronome 100% of the time now, so you'd think it would show... I think part of it has to do with the recording process, I'm simply not used to it and I get nervous trying to get a good "take" and trying too hard to make sure I get the ideas in there that I want to.

Thanks for the comments Michael! Again, I couldn't have done it without you. :wink:
  • vincevince Davis & San Francisco, CANew
    Great job! I really like how you connect the descending diminished sweep in as well as the pedal effect at the beginning (that's what it's called right?)

V
    I don't know whether I'll ever be an excellent player if I keep practicing, but I'm absolutely sure I won't be if I stop.
  • Blue DragBlue Drag S.F. Bay Area✭✭✭✭
    Attn: Michael,
    I can never play the videos that people post. Is there a piece of software or something I need? I use a Mac G4 with hi-speed connection and have Real Player and Windows Media Player. Any help (from anybody) would be appreciated. I hate missing out on this stuff.
  • nwilkinsnwilkins New
    the above is not a video - it's an audio file.
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Blue Drag wrote:
    Attn: Michael,
    I can never play the videos that people post. Is there a piece of software or something I need? I use a Mac G4 with hi-speed connection and have Real Player and Windows Media Player. Any help (from anybody) would be appreciated. I hate missing out on this stuff.

Not sure what the problem is...I'd first try a different browser.

I hope you can figure it out!

'm
  • joefjoef Wales, U.K.New
    Blue Drag:

You need Windows Media Components for Quicktime. They will play in Safari then.

Free download at:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... layLang=en

regards

Joe
  • Blue DragBlue Drag S.F. Bay Area✭✭✭✭
    Joef: Problem solved! Thanks a bunch.
    Capilano-Gypsy: Nice playing, nice ideas. Is that you double-tracked?
    What kind of guitar are youplaying? It has a nice sound
    That's myself on both lead and rhythm. Recorded at my friend's house on a mac. It was some type of APEX mic. The guitar is a DG-330 John Jorgenson model. It is a good sounding guitar - I played it side by side with Ross' Park guitar and it was actually louder and had a little more on the bass side. I think I liked it more than the Park. Thanks for the kind words!