DjangoBooks.com

what kind of chord substitution he is talking about at the beginning of this video ?

rafapakrafapak ✭✭
in Gypsy Jazz 101 Posts: 221

hi guys

I have trouble to figure out what kind of chord substitution he is talking at the beginning of this video ? Can you help me ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0VEx8f1n5g&t=19s

Comments

• billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

Did you have a specific time stamp you were interested in? He is talking about several substitutions and alterations.

• bbwood_98bbwood_98 Brooklyn, NyProdigy Vladimir music! Les Effes. . Its the best!

@rafapak I tried to keep this short, but failed . . .lol.

the first part he is talking about one sub, and some extensions: 'Anatole" or I-vi-ii-V is the subject, he uses a iii minor 7 chord for the I major 7 chord. In the key of C it would be to play e, g, b, d for a c, e, g, b, chord. These have 3 common tones. The progression becomes iii minor 7 - Vi 'Dominant' 7 or vi minor 7- ii minor7-V 'Dominant' 7 instead of I major 7 - vi minor 7 - ii minor 7 - V 'Dominant' 7

The next idea that the vi chord can be either minor 7 or 'Dominant' 7 (this is common in lots of jazz and Django's music). Bascially again in key of C the a minor 7 chord would be a, c, e, g. Romane suggests a, c#, g, e. Followed up very quickly in the video by the next idea. Turning the roman numeral for the chord into Vi7 so the progression becomes I major 7-Vi 'Dominant' 7-ii minor 7-V 'Dominant' 7.

That is extending the chords (playing 'alterations' or things outside the 4 note chord) in this case, changing the 5th note of the dominant chords he's playing to a #5, thus, in key of C: the Vi7 chord from the previous paragraph becomes the wild sounding Vi 'Dominant' 7 #5 a, c#, E# g and the next chord the V 'Dominant' 7 becomes g, b, D#, f.

Then he gets into tritone subs . . . (that also takes a moment to explain).

hope that helps??

Ben

Bucobillyshakes
  • rafapakrafapak ✭✭

thanks for replies