DjangoBooks.com

Restringing technique?

I know this might sound dumb but Ive never restrung a slot head. I looked up some videos and it seems like dobros are done differently compared to ukuleles and so on. Could you guys perhaps shoot a vid how to string my guitar correctly? Cheers

Comments

• jonpowljonpowl Hercules, CA✭✭✭ Dupont MD-100, Altamira M01F
    Here is a previous thread with good info: http://www.djangobooks.com/forum/discussion/11134/restringing-a-gypsy-guitar
    Here is a method: http://www.jazzguitar.be/forum/attachments/guitar-amps-gizmos/11015-stringing-gypsy-guitar-gt-peg.jpg
    Not a gypsy guitar, but has some good tips about string angles wearing the wood:
    I wind my D & G strings to the outside to avoid wearing into the wood.
  • Al WatskyAl Watsky New JerseyVirtuoso
    edited September 2014 Posts: 440
    This advise does not apply to GJ guitars. It doesn't apply to Nationals either, but thats another story. I suppose this guys owns the company now and he can do anything he wants ! He's a fine fella !
    If you want a tutorial on installing strings on a SelMac try doing a search on Jean Barault he posted a little pictorial of his "secret" restringing method on Facebook. His post is from July 13. Check it out. He wraps the string under THREE times, but the method is the same.
    This method from National is fine and all ,but really , there are other ways.
    His paranoia about the ball ends is charming.
    In fact the way you avoid that problem is to make a little bend in the ball end to prevent it from pulling out of the tailpiece, but its all good. He's trying to avoid a law suite. fine.
    Its less convenient to install the strings properly as it makes them a bit harder to remove but what you want to do is .
    1,Remove the old string ,2, put the loop over the post,3, line up the hole so the strings passes through, 4,pull the string almost taught,5,then bring the free end of the string under the captured end TWO times, 6, pull that taught,7, then tighten to pitch.
    That will lock the string in position with very little excess winding on the post and your strings will come up to pitch quickly and stay there. Period.
    There is no chance of wearing any wood if strings are installed in this manner. There is no need to wrap that much string around the post.
    pickitjohn
  • pickitjohnpickitjohn South Texas Corpus, San Antonio, AustinVirtuoso Patenotte 260
    @Al Watsky

Thanks Gonna have to try that, never seen that in 50+ years of playing.

pick on

pickitjohn :peace:

Kyle_M_Imlah
    I've been pretty much doing the BB King thing, or at least what I heard he's doing, winding up most of the lenght of the string. I figured if he stays in tune with all the bends he's doing, well he's gotta be doing something right.
    I'll try the above though, all that winding gets tiring.
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
    edited September 2014 Posts: 440
    Buco, the full wrap on the post thing works for Telecasters too,
    but for the slotted headstock guitars this lock wrap is a superior technique.
    It is also the preferred technique for classical guitars .
    The advantage of the full post downward wrap on the vertical posts is that the string angle behind the nut is giving more downward pressure and lessens the chance of ringing of the "after length".
    Some folks don't travel with end nippers either, so a method that does not require cutting of the string is preferred by some.
    By any objective measure though the method detailed above is the "right" method for steel and nylon string slotted head stock guitars.
    Having more wrap around the post is not any advantage if the string isn't moving or stretching in the first place.
    Its about the un stretched strings coming up to pitch and staying there.
    When I was first becoming acquainted with the guitar as a technician I was made aware of the potential of string damage caused by pulling strings after installation to accelerate the string staying up to pitch.
    With the GJ instruments this locking method which can have as few as a single post wrap , comes up to pitch almost instantly and stays that way.
    Winning !
    :D
    jazzygtrBuco
  • edited September 2014 Posts: 4,737
    Ok ok. "Just do it" from you would suffice :)
    Makes me wanna do a strings change right now, but I'm out at the time.
    And I do carry a small pair of cutters in the guitar case and a small needlenose, just in case.

Oh and thanks for the pic, @pickitjohn I'm not on FB to check it out.
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • Teddy123Teddy123 New
    edited October 2014 Posts: 1
  • wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    edited September 2014 Posts: 1,457
    Hey Al, when I read the first post I was going to post Barault's method here as well, it's great. Unfortunately when I went searching for it, it was a facebook video not a youtube video, so we couldn't easily share it here.
    A shame because it's the best method, he can restring the guitar in under a minute it's quick and secure, they're easy to remove, and it looks nice and neat too
    You can just tell he has done this job a thousand times before LOL
    Wim, True Barault got that right ! If folks search his July 13th stream they will find the post.
    I started installing strings on classical guitars this way around 30 years ago on the recommendation of my friend and mentor Antonio David , I mention his name only as a small tribute as he has passed on.
    He came to the United States from Mexico after WWII initially as a Mariachi , then worked as a guitar salesman. He worked for the Orozco's in their shop and then at the American Institute of Guitar where I met him in 1979.
    Every one knew Tony.
    Every Flamenco that lived in or passed through NYC stopped in to see what the news was at Tony's place.
    Any way. Thats how you can install strings on any slot head type guitar . It does the trick !
    Pardon my sentimentality !
  • pickitjohnpickitjohn South Texas Corpus, San Antonio, AustinVirtuoso Patenotte 260
    Not having or wanting a Facebook account I found this illustration.
    I would love to see the Jean Barault video if anyone knows how to post it.

attach the end of the string to the tuning head roller as illustrated in the diagram:

Turn the tuning key until the string hole is centered in the roller (see diagram above). Thread the string through the hole on the top of the roller. Pull the end out the bottom and twist it around the string: twist once for basses and two or three times for trebles. Pull the loose end of the string upwards as you tighten the string (turn the tuning key clockwise) so the string is caught between the string and the roller, i.e., runs over itself. This procedure insures the string won't slip out when under tension. Finally, use the string winder to bring the string up to pitch by cranking clockwise. Keep a watchful eye on the bridge tie. If it begins to slip, slack the string and tie it again. Repeat the above procedure with the remaining five strings.

pick on

pickitjohn :peace:
    jazzygtrNejc