DjangoBooks.com

String Suggestions for other genres

NotoNoto
in Welcome Posts: 39
I am thinking of using my Park Elan for other styles of music such as Celtic, folk and blues.
Is there a string type that would give the guitar a bit more bass that anyone would recommend?
I have been using Argentine 1510's.

Thank you

Comments

• martin bmartin b London✭✭ Epiphone Deluxe
    A good question, and close to home for me , as I too feel these guitars are more versatile than many realise. Also, I'm not overly fond of the bright zingy sound of argies. To firm up the lower strings and increase bass dramatically try the heavier gauge silk and steels like La Bella and Lenzner. They'll also round out the sound somewhat, maybe too much for some however.
  • Might want to check with Shelly about the string tensions before changing the strings too far from the original concept. She builds a lovely light and responsive guitar ....too heavy a gauge could cause damage.....
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • JSantaJSanta NY✭✭✭ Dupont, Gaffiero, AJL
    I only have experience on my Gitane, but I've found that simply using different picks, a different picking style, and where you actually pluck the strings can have an immense tonal difference that make the instrument you already have applicable in many genres.

When I want to keep playing my Gitane instead of my archtop, changing to a 2mm pick, and playing closer to the neck make a huge difference.