DjangoBooks.com

Django in Rome 1949: Djangology transcribed

ShawnShawn Boise, Idaho✭✭✭✭
edited October 2013 in Repertoire Posts: 296
Well, I've finally completed it. It's been a labor of love...since the 1949 recordings in Rome are my favorite pieces that Django ever recorded. I know there were a lot of song's recorded during these sessions, but I'm specifically referring to the tunes on this album:

J64819.jpg

I've transcribed every solo on this album bar the "Swing Guitars" solo (I just got burnt out with it before I was finished, so my apologies). I originally started it so I could understand the concepts behind his soloing during these sessions, and it just kind of blossomed from there. Anyhow, I've done every solo in standard notation and tab and I'm trying to get them all into one PDF document for easier access. I don't know if anyone is interested in having these or not, but if there is some interest I'd be more than happy to upload them to this thread. I just don't want to go to the extra work if nobody wants them...LOL :mrgreen: .

Comments

• andmerandmer New York✭✭✭
    oh yeah. that'd be awesome.
  • Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
    You can be sure there would be interest. I have some of the Rome stuff transcribed in a book, but not nearly all of it. Thanks for offering to share your work, Shawn!
    I've never been a guitar player, but I've played one on stage.
  • malakkamalakka ✭✭
    Yes please I am very interested, thank you Shawn!
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Oh yeah!
  • ShawnShawn Boise, Idaho✭✭✭✭
    Great! Now I just need to figure out how to combine PDF files and I'll get it uploaded. I should mention there are one or two tunes that were already transcribed by someone else in powertab, so I've just edited them a bit rather than re-transcribe something that's already been done. Also, I'll include transcriptions for a few solo's from 1949 in Rome, but not necessarily on this album (Troublant Bolero, Just a Gigolo and one or two others). I'll try my best to have something posted here tonight or tomorrow.
  • ShawnShawn Boise, Idaho✭✭✭✭
    Alright everyone, here you are. I've noted the few solo's that we're not done by me...specifically the Minor Swing solo I've added since it was part of the album, but was transcribed by Denis Chang. There were a couple of collaborations I did with someone else that I've noted on some solo's as well. Regardless, I hope this comes in handy for anyone studying his compositions from this era. Personally, I think Django's solo on "Improv. on Tchaikovsky's Pathetique" is probably the most beautiful solo he ever played...I can barely listen to that song without breaking down in tears.

Enjoy!

Shawn
  • PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭
    Holy Toledo, Shawn - a monumental gift. Thank you for doing this!

Paul
    -Paul

pas encore, j'erre toujours.
  • tmaccaferriantmaccaferrian ✭✭
    Wow! That is a lot of work.

Mille Grazie!
  • Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
    Note to self: buy more copy paper. This is pretty monumental, Shawn. Thanks again for doing it, and for sharing it.
    I've never been a guitar player, but I've played one on stage.
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Wow Shawn, very generous! Thanks so much! Some real classic stuff there!